What Virginia deer hunting means to me.

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
Found a great story about what deer hunting means to a guy in the south. Hunting Club, hounds
and lots of fun. Kinda sums up my first couple of years hunting whitetails. A hand me down single shot 20 ga and some buckshot when i first started. My gear has since improved just a bit :mrgreen: Its now going on 30 years with the same club my granddad started in the early 50s with a couple other WWII vets. I was sitting in a treestand this morning thinking about all deer I have killed with the club. Then started to think about all those tough old birds that have passed on. The ones i used to go on a stand line with if my dad was busy running the dogs. Learned alot of the hot crossing spots and good places to sit from the old timers. I sure do miss those guys and especially both of my grandpops. We have only one old timer left and he is one of those WWII vets. Every year my interest in other types of hunting grows but the draw of the club is always there and walking the same woods that I have for 30 years.
983696BA-11CE-42C3-A493-A7158B9EFB20-3769-0000030E83D084B0.jpg

Man that brings back a lot of memories. Grew up running dogs with truckloads of family down in the sandhills of panhandle Florida. I still get keyed up when I hear the hounds jump.

Brian great post. I know exactly how you feel. This year and last, as you know, I hunted country that I first hunted in 63. The guys I hunted with then are "all" gone now. Like your area, it is still very much the same.

It was a story that rings true with me. I can only hope to pass on the fun and excitement of hunting to my gang! Think I have one hooked?

BD31FF27-B5CF-48A1-8693-627C7B8B0FEC-368-0000004B9116E6E5.jpg

He still thinks hunting is more about hanging at the club, drinking lots of Coke, and eating tons of snack food :lol:

Woodycreek":360jw7z8 said:
It was a story that rings true with me. I can only hope to pass on the fun and excitement of hunting to my gang! Think I have one hooked?

BD31FF27-B5CF-48A1-8693-627C7B8B0FEC-368-0000004B9116E6E5.jpg

He still thinks hunting is more about hanging at the club, drinking lots of Coke, and eating tons of snack food :lol:

That's a great picture, my wife really liked it too and thought it was "really cute" Love seeing all you guys taking your son's and daughters out hunting.

Great pictures, BG. It is always great to see young fellers and gals following their dads into the woods.

Thanks guys for the photos, that is truly a investment into all of ours future.
Keep up the outstanding work.

Blessings,
Dan

Elkman":3fm4a38k said:
Brian

Looks "hooked" to me.

Bill,

I think he has the bug. Next year should be a ton of fun with him! He likes the two man ladder stands. Guess I need to start looking for them when they go on sale after deer season. I'm afraid to put him in a box blind like my neighbor has. Those things are over the top nice! Matt would have me building little club houses all over the place!

Back