What fast .30 caliber for my new barrel?

I agree about the Wyatt mag box. You don't need the 4" version just the 3.8" version. I ordered a reamer set up just for the 215 Bergers at 3.76" touching the rifling.

Thebear_78":1p4kma7t said:
Whatever you get out a Wyatt extended mag box in it. Throat it out to use the extra COL. That will really help with the longer bulletsout there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The STW case length is 2.850 and the .300 WM is 2.620, will the current box work if using the long Bergers in the 300 Win Mag? How long are you having your OAL, if you have one?

I would go with a 300 Weatherby. Using RL-26 at book levels you can get within a few feet/second of Weatherby factory loads. I'm doing it with a 24" barreled Vanguard and accuracy is sub MOA@100 yards, but more importantly, one-shot kills at 300+ yards from a cold barrel.

OAL with a 300wm and 215 Bergers runs about 3.76" to the rifling with my reamer. That has the boattail at the bottom of the neck.

I'm pretty happy with the 300 Win Mag as well. I'm using Reloder 23 and 190 Bergers and getting .2" groups @ 2950 FPS.

I thought about the same things as you are going through. Doing the math I shoot more for less and the 300 Win Mag will do anything the others will. I wouldn't even flinch at the idea of shooting at an Elk at 700 yards.

Charlie-NY":1hilvl2m said:
My vote would be for the 300 WBY mag. Brass is easy to find and available from most manufacturers. Larger cases have too many downsides and can not justify the small increases in velocity. All RUM brass is increasingly difficult to locate.

I would suspect that the 30 Nosler will have Nosler brass available far into the future and you would not have the belt to deal with if that is an issue for you. Certainly worth considering.

I'd vote the same as Charlie. 300 Wby or Win Mag is never going to be a bad choice in a well built rifle.

Back