Warranty/Customer service

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Curious to hear your experiences with various manufacturers. I have three main questions:

Which manufacturer?

How would you rate them?

How did.they stack up compared to their stated policy?

For my own part, I've used Leupold's service on two occasions. Once to have a set of M1 dials installed, and once for a pair of broken binoculars (my own fault). In both instances, they were top-notch. I admitted that the binocular failure was on me and simply asked what it would take to repair, and they were replaced free of charge, no questions asked. In the product literature there's distinction between "limited" and "full" warranty, but I definitely experienced the full warranty.

Thanks!

RCBS--first rate, no questions asked and service as stated (dealt directly with offices in the States).
Redding--mixed, once rendered excellent service and once made promises without doing anything (dealt directly with offices in the States).
Forster--reasonable, I had to call on them one time. They were reluctant, assuming that I had done something wrong, but finally sending the decapping assembly that had broken on the first use, (dealt directly with offices in the States).
Ruger--very poor service the one time I had to call on them (dealt directly with offices in the States). Local distributors were no more accommodating.
Kimber--horrendous customer service for multiple customers with whom I was servicing (dealt directly with offices in the States).
Leupold--a less than satisfying experience, but then, that was dealing with the Canadian distributor who cares for their warranty in this nation
Zeiss--excellent service delivered hastily (dealt directly with offices in the States).
Cabelas--excellent response to concerns, even when only inquiring about repair to items that had worn out (dealt directly with offices in the States).
Sinclair--excellent response to concerns with items purchased through them (dealt directly with offices in the States).

Schmidt Bender - first class, quick, no questions asked
Zeiss - see above
Burris - suprizingly good, good turn around time
Natchezz - Never do business with them again

-My experiences with Zeiss (scopes and binoculars), Leica (binoculars), Kahles (scopes), Swarovski (scopes) in the past 15 or so years have been nil, I have never had a failure, either hunting or at the range with any of their optics. These companies make excellent products with high mechanical/optical integrity and I have never had an issue once, despite long use.
-Leupold, since 1998, I have had (3) Leupold scopes which either disassembled internally or lost moisture sealing and or clarity. In every case the problem was resolved within (2) weeks with repair or replacement, no questions asked. Two of these scopes were Vari-X III's which made me wonder about design integrity but Leupold stood behind them, quickly and professionally.
-Cabela's: no issues, they even replaced two expensive fishing poles broken by UPS!
-RCBS- Excellent service even on an issue where I lost some spacers and they replaced them, no questions asked for free when I offered to pay!
-Kimber: initially bad mouthing and foul language from CS Rep when I tried to fix an issue with Custom Shop .45 Auto! After (5) tries, where I hung up before I lost my temper and got nowhere, I finally got one person who helped me on the sixth phone call. They took the pistol back at my expense for shipping FedEx. They worked on the slide and rails, the extractor and replaced broken recoil spring. Pistol was expensive custom which broke after 1000 rounds of standard ammo. When I got it back, it still jammed or failed to eject once per magazine. I sold it! The same thing happened to the Pro Carry that I bought and broke in, gave to my son. Same problem, different gun! Two Kimber's up, two Kimber's out! These were 2001 built Kimber's if that means anything, $2300 worth?
-Beretta: Customer Service (Maryland) is slow, lies about shipping commitments, does not make commitments well or when asked to, takes forever but finally gets it done ($4000 shotgun warrantee) for broken extractor.
Nosler: very good customer service on issues with short count and damaged packaging. Makes good on replacement for free.

Leupold customer service was great to me. I've sent two scopes in for minor repair, and had them back within 2 weeks.

I here Vortex is outstanding as well
Steve

RCBS- I got a bad seating sleeve in a .308 die set, once I convinced the CS rep that I wasn't stupid she sent a replacement at no charge, got it very quickly. I rate them good, would have rated excellent if the CS rep had not argued and tried to sell me a custom seating stem first.

Sightron - Replaced a pistol scope that gave up under recoil, about 2 weeks total time involved, no questions asked. My rating excellent.

Leupold - not really a warranty issue but I drilled and tapped an old FN commercial action for the one piece base and because I had to shim the rear of the base the screw furnished was not long enough. I called customer service to see if I could order a longer one and they sent it free of charge the next day. My rating excellent.

Minox - I mailed out a ZA5 scope that had a problem with the eyepiece, (the outer sleeve came loose) one week ago today. I haven't heard anything yet so the jury is still out.Update, Minox repaired my scope no questions asked. It took a month but scope is good as new. Minox is okay in my book!

Pact Inc. - I had a Pro Chronograph that quit working, contacted them and sent it in at my expense, they sent me a letter 2 weeks later offering to sell me a replacement at 30% off. I told them to repair or replace my unit. To date I have heard nothing else from them, July 14th. was a year since I sent my chronograph in. My rating, less than worthless, when I sent my unit in I was throwing good money after bad. I should have saved the postage and insurance money I spent on the pact and put it toward a new chronograph.

Bob

Have used Leupold twice, once full replacement of a gold ring scope with Canadian distributor & it was top notch next time I used them for my CDS dials and they stated they couldn't follow USA promotions for free dials:(. One phone call to Leupold USA & minutes later I received a call from Canadian distributor apologizing & had dials within 7 days:).
Minox- scope malfunction & replaced no questions asked with 10 days great customer service.
Bushnell- 2 occasions both time it sucked :evil: first time my Dad had a 2-8 Scope Chief for years I then received scope after he passed & power ban seized. I sent it in & they advised that scope was to old for life time warranty gave me a 4200 elite @ cost. Second time God son also sent in a 4200 Elite which was basically rattled apart on his 338 Laupa :( they advised him it was abuse :evil:. He now shoots NF.
Only my opinion but I won't use anything Bushnell as I have got rid of my 4 scopes. I still have the binoculars but use my Leica 1600 range finder more than the binoculars!!

Blessings,
Dan

Nosler - as far as rifles are concerned

Leupold as far as optics are concerned

Back