VX-6 Troubles

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I have a VX-6 3-18x44 CDS mounted on my 338 RUM and it is not responding
to MOA adjustments. I shot a box test at 100 yards and was disappointed with
the results. I contacted Leupold and I sent the scope back to them today.
In addition to getting the turrets fixed, I'm getting the new Fire Dot Wind Plex reticle
and a custom CDS dial set up for the 250 gr AB at 3000 fps. I also ordered the Mark 4 rail
and PRW rings.
I'm hoping for a quick turn around and a resolution to the dialing problem.

JD338

Unfortunately pretty much all brands will have a few problems from time to time, they will get it back to you pretty quick I'm sure.

Fotis, if the VX6 does not hold together on the RUM, you could put it on a 7mm Bee with 160 grain Partitions?

I am hoping a different mounting system will help the VX-6 withstand the recoil of the 338 RUM.

JD338

Going from a Leupold 2 pc Standard mount with front dove tail and rear windage screws to a Mark 4 Picatinny
rail and PRW Medium height rings.

JD338

Nice thing about Leupold is that they stand behind their products and trun around is pretty darn fast. Hope they get it corrected for you.

JD338":2giwrav8 said:
Going from a Leupold 2 pc Standard mount with front dove tail and rear windage screws to a Mark 4 Picatinny
rail and PRW Medium height rings.

JD338

I tore up a Leupold std rear mount (windage screw type) & ring during my load work up on my 338RUM. Found Midway had a set of 30mm Talley stainless mount/ring system on sale. Problem solved. Then for peace of mind, I switch from Leupold std mounts to their dual dovetail mounts on my 375RUM - no problems with those on that rifle either.

I worked up a load in my nephews 338 RUM M700 XTR and ran into the same problem because he didn't have the windage screws torqued down. I never had a problem. The VX-6 is a big scope and having a robust mounting system makes sense.

JD338

I use Warne Maxima steel bases and TPS steel rings on most of my rifles but especially on the 7mag, .30-06, .338 Federal? The .257 R and the .270 have TPS aluminum rings. Plus I use a torque wrench both on bases and rings. My Zeiss HD5 scopes are big and heavy?

I have a thing about Leupold bases, having had the ring retaining screw, stress crack on some bases that had been on the rifle for many years?

I'll have to check the scope on the Newton... Makes me worrie a little.

SJB358":38fcvlv4 said:

Scotty,

What mounting system are you using on the 35 Newton?

JD338

JD338":xjxc7ull said:
SJB358":xjxc7ull said:

Scotty,

What mounting system are you using on the 35 Newton?

JD338

Talley Screw Locks. They seem like they hold on pretty well Jim. Haven't ever noted any slippage and they seem to hold up pretty well. A lot of area on the rings as well.

JD338 , I'm not sure if this would interest you , but figured it's worth a look . Ken Farrell makes bases with a recoil lug that helps keep the load off the mounting screws . I think it's a good idea on a hard kicking rifle , especially with a heavy scope . I have one on a rifle , it's a nice mount .

http://kenfarrell.com/

TPS makes rings like that as well and they are cheaper than Farrell rings? Just a thought, plus Farrell uses a .156 lug instead of the .187 lug of the Picatinny mounts?

Jim, I believe that they use a .156 wide ring lug and base mounting cut. They will not work with Picatinny rings? They are not compatible dimensionally with Picatinny?

Take this for what it's worth, Jim, but I'll also suggest TPS rings, particularly if you're using a rail mount. They are rock solid, very easy to set up and very tight dimensionally. They also make rings for both the standard Picatinny as well as Weaver dimensions, and offer both steel and aluminum, so I think you'd be able to find something regardless of which style rail you use.

I have them on my .223 (such a hard-kicking mule as it is!) with a VX3, also 30 mm.

IMAG0623.jpg

Back