Venison steak bourbon sauce

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
After all the delectable steak treatments posted by Guy, Mike and others, I got to thinking. So, I pulled some venison steaks from the freezer and let them thaw through the afternoon.

I seasoned and sauteed the steaks in a skillet, with peppers, much like some recipes previously posted. I then set them aside and covered with foil, and did the following... Being a single guy, I don't have to worry too much about diverse palates to please, but it suited me just fine. 8)

Pour just enough of your choice of bourbon (2 or 3 tablespoons is enough, depending on pan size) to de-glaze the bottom of the pan and reduce. Season generously with crushed black peppercorns. Lower to minimum heat and add slabs of cold (or frozen) butter, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. The trick is to whisk in each tablespoon of butter until it is completely melted and incorporated, then add the next one. Drizzle over steaks.

Excellent suggestion. This will definitely get a trial run shortly. Thanks for posting.

That sounds excellent. I might have to give that a try. I think I even have a little bourbon in the cabinet which I've been neglecting since discovering Scotch.

Thank you, gents. For you married guys, it could be dressed up a touch for your ladies by using a dry red wine in place of the whiskey. Either way, it will eat!

Back