Valuable lesson learned!

Big Norm

Beginner
Jul 12, 2013
This lesson is one that many seasoned reloaders have already learned but for some new reloaders one that takes time to understand!

Im only 9mths into my reloading adventure and like many in there early stages of developement I tend to get caught up in the velocity game.... "how fast can I make this bullet go"...

After a range trip to test 4 new bullets in 3 different guns with a variety of powders I learned that its not necessary to send them out that tube at top speed to get them accurately on paper...

I developed loads for my 308 with a 168 ballistic tip and AccuBond

270 winchester in 130 ballistic tip

7mm mag 150 ballistic tip...

I learned that chasing velocity is waste of time when ACCURACY is your goal... I watched a new reloader today get pissed because his groups were all over 1.3 moa at 100yrds. He made the comment" I dont know why they are not grouping well, I got them loaded to max and the velocity is XXXXfps..." he looked at my target and said my groups looked great, whats my load data... I replied with load data that was in the middle of the minimum amd maximum load... he said WOW..that really good... and you got plenty room for more powder to make them go faster!

Lesson learned... speed does not always mean accuracy!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Would that all hand loaders and shooters learned this lesson sooner rather than later. I don't see it happening, however, so long as the emphasis is on velocity from supposed knowledgeable writers. Speed sells; accuracy works.

Yup. Sometimes a max level load is also a very accurate load.

Sometimes best accuracy is found well below those maximum levels.

Often I seek a compromise between accuracy & velocity.

Guy

Guy Miner":x5pq1ko4 said:
Often I seek a compromise between accuracy & velocity.

This is likely the wisest course when dealing with hunting ammo. For competitions, maybe not, but for hunting, velocity can be important for two reasons. First, good accuracy is your duty to the game you hunt. It appears the OP knows this, and is on top of it. Good accuracy allows for confidence and for taking shots at game at longer distances than poor accuracy. I'm not talking about ridiculous distances, but there are hunters who unintentionally self-impose a limit of about 100yds on their hunting, as they cannot accurately hit anything out beyond that.

Second, it extends your "don't have to think about it" range for shooting game. I use "maximum point blank range" for setting up my rifles, and velocity increases allow for a longer MPBR. What does that mean? Well, it means you can hold dead on out to your rifle's MPBR, which means you know anything within that distance can be shot without holdover or having to think about holdover. For many standard chamberings, such as 30-06, 270Win, and the like, MPBR for white-tails will run something on the order of 260-280yds. For some of the faster rounds, like my 270Wby, MPBR is 315-330yds for game the size of white-tails. I like not having to think about anything inside 300yds. Velocity allows me that.

My 270Wby is a good example, too, as I have a stellar accuracy load with 150gr bullets running 2900fps. It shoots sub-half-minute "on demand" and has produced enough sub-caliber groups (smaller than .277 for this rifle) to assure me it's my most accurate sporter rifle. But 150gr bullets at 2900fps are slow, and MPBR is reduced to about 270yds. Comparitively, my 130gr E-Tip load gives up a bit of precision, as it's only about .75MOA, consistently. But, what I lose in precision I gain back in range, with a MPBR of 320yds. In my view, a hunting rifle shooting sub-MOA from field positions is more than sufficient out to my 500yd self-imposed limit for shooting game in perfect, ideal conditions. Add some crosswinds, sun glare, and elevated heart rate from trucking it down and up a hill to get into position to shoot, and I'd be unwilling to take even a 500yd shot with that rifle. But I could easily accept a 1.5min group at 400yds, putting my bullets within 6", about half the size of a white-tails vitals, and my 270'bee will do that all day, and then some.

For hunting, Guy is dead-on. I'll give up hyper-accuracy for another 30-50yds of range, and good accuracy, any day.

Guy Miner":1533yv9l said:
Yup. Sometimes a max level load is also a very accurate load. Sometimes best accuracy is found well below those maximum levels. Often I seek a compromise between accuracy & velocity. Guy
After working on my 223WSSM all these months, I don't have a choice. You load that baby to max capacity, it shoots OK (1 MOAish). Now, back her off a little and you're throwing darts! I'll take it over max any day.

Most rifles have an otimal loading zone wih certain powders where they shoot with the best accuracy for that rifle, close to the highest velocity. Personally, I would rather operate at this rate and place, than just aiming for maximum velocity. The game that you shoot will never know the difference but I will and I want the optimal performance, not so much max velocity. Usually the two are fairly close to each other anyway.

Oldtrader3":1t4911nj said:
Most rifles have an otimal loading zone wih certain powders where they shoot with the best accuracy for that rifle, close to the highest velocity. Personally, I would rather operate at this rate and place, than just aiming for maximum velocity. The game that you shoot will never know the difference but I will and I want the optimal performance, not so much max velocity. Usually the two are fairly close to each other anyway.

Charlie and Mike nailed it, along with all the others. I have learned alot by being here and listening. It saves me powder and bullets.

Back