Tumbling loaded rounds?

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
I have one of the RCBS vibratory case cleaners and was contemplating tumbling some loaded .22 rounds to clean them up a little. Is a stupid idea?

I refrain from that generally however a few have "sneaked" by me through the years with negative incident.

I think the possibility of the powder in the cartridges having some of the coating worn off, resulting in an altered burn rate, make tumbling loaded ammo a bad idea. A friend who shoots benchrest told me he left a jug of powder in his truck for a while between trips to the range, and that he thinks that the powder's burn characteristics changed as a result. I dunno if it's all true, but it sure seems like a real possibility!

I know a few 3 gun shooters that load the 223 and 308 match ammo on a progressive press and tumble loaded ammo to get the lube off before they shoot, 10 shots into under an inch@100 yards and chrono data tells me it does no harm.
But they tumble enough to get the lube off, only about 30 minutes. we aren't talking about hours of tumble time.

I clean loaded rounds with brass cleaner and a rag.

JD338

JD338":28g0nuls said:
I clean loaded rounds with brass cleaner and a rag.

JD338

I'll bet you'd look for another way if it was maybe 500 or more rounds. :lol: Seriously, I had to ask about this myself the other day. I had to call Dillon on another subject and as I'm considering a set up to do .223 and .308 in large batches, should I size the brass as a seperate action then do the rest of the work on the Dillon or can I safely tumble the ammo in a tumbler.
He said, "If you use a Dillon tumbler, the action is gentle enough that it won't be a problem. (HINT: Let me sell you a tumbler :roll: :lol: ) I said I already had a Dillon tumbler. He said usually 5 to 15 minutes wouldn't hurt using the Dillon. I have three tumblers, two Lymans and the Dillon. Running them with the lids off, I see no real difference in the action of either type tumbler. I don't think there'd be much of a problem with ball powders but stick types like 4831 do leave me with a bit of anxiety. Methinks if I go that route, I'll keep to no more than 15 to 30 minutes depending on the powder in the ammo.
Paul B.

Don't remember which vendor, but one of the shooting shows had a tour of one of the smaller custom ammo manufacturers. That place tumbled loaded ammo as a last step before packaging. For sure, powder type and % fill seem like factors to me......

Back