TTSX or ACCUBOND

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
I know this is the nosler forum but it appears we give everyone on here their just due.

I am going out Sunday to see what all my final work has given me on the 257 bee.

I got teh 110 AB shooting really well and pushing 3500 at about 3475ish I get just a little better groups out of the 100 ttsx at almost 3700

Which would you use on your mulie hunt?

I respect what each does I know that the ttsx will open but since it is only a 257 will it open enough? could it just drill a hole right through without much damage?

OMG 3 weeks and no closure I am about to park it and grab the RUM

The TTSX will likely work just fine in your 257. However, you know the performance of the AB will ensure that the bullet opens at impact velocity. Frankly, I would be comfortable with either on a mule deer hunt. The bottom line is that a bullet through the lungs will ensure quick death whether it opens explosively or whether it opens less violently.

nitis,

Either one will work great for you.
Personally, I am an AccuBond fan so that is what I would pick.
YMMV. :grin:

JD338

Tough choice, both are good hunting bullets.

I had one TSX that either didn't expand, or didn't expand much, on a mule deer several years ago. However he did hit the ground stone dead, so I certainly can't complain. That was the 100 gr TSX from my .25-06 at 3340 fps mv. Range was about 125 yards or so. On another mulie buck at only about 30 yards, expansion was very good, as was penetration. The Barnes will penetrate - there's no doubt about that. In fact, I'd prefer shoulder shots with the Barnes, to maximize damage. It's almost assured to exit anyway.

AccuBond. What can I say? I've only used 'em on bear, last week, the 260 grain version. Right now I'm on an AccuBond high. I think I'm going to decorate the loading room with Accubonds I like them so much. Maybe those old 1970's hippie bead curtains, but done with Accubonds. I can't find anything to fault with them. They shoot great and kill stuff really dead. Yup, I'm in AccuBond euphoria right now... :grin:

Never tried the itty bitty .25 cal Accubonds - but if they're anything like their big brothers, they've got to be good.

How's that for waffling & wandering? :grin:

Guy

I'd pick the AccuBond because I've taken many big game animals with them at 30 to 250 yds. and never had a fault. Perfect every time. That being said, I'm going through the same issue you are right now. I was going to take my 257 Wby for antelope and the 300 RUM for mule deer in Wyoming. But, what if I drop or break the RUM. Do I feel comfortible with that itsy-bitsy 110 grain bullet to stop that 350# bruiser mule deer? I spent the last week working up a load for the 270 WSM and checking the sight in on my 7 RUM incase I couldn't get the 270 accurate enough. Based on that I believe I'll sell the 257 Wby. If I can't get myself to trust it I ought to sell it to someone who can. Ok I've got ELMER KEITH itis.
USE ENOUGH GUN!

Stock answer here...... Whatever shoots better. :)

I have used both and I will stay with my ABs. There is now 6 of us that hunt together and when we meet this weekend for a week of Elk hunting. I will be the only one not using ABs as I am finishing off the last of my Partitions and then only ABs will come out of my rifles :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I use the ABs due to the better BC. In the 10 or so boxes that i have, the ABs were a lot closer in weight distribution than the barnes bullets.

I am not sure at all when comparing barnes to the e-tips.
Hardpan

going with the accubonds they were a little tighter and more consistent so tehy get teh nod and once agian the shorter teh better 3.16!

Great choice. Hard to beat the Accubonds I think. I have used them in my 270WSM for elk and deer and they have worked well in the 140gr version. I have some more on my bench for other guns. I think violent expansion and penetration from the AccuBond out of your 257 will make burger and steaks out of any muley walking! Scotty

I have to say I'm definately a Nosler fan and have seen the Accubonds work as good if not better than any bullet.
Then what happens is I hear voices in my head - Hey you know what - that "other" bullet may shoot 1/8 of an inch tighter groups why arn't you using it ? :lol:
At the range the majority of my hunting occurs I would go back to the Default answer - (D) AccuBond

you know I really feel that I made a good choice even though it is bonded it is flexible and somewhat unpredictable in that it will do other things when it hits different matter

As fast as the ttsx shoots I felt as if it would be similar to shooting a little bit larger caliber solid

If they shoot equally accurate I would use the 110 AccuBond. Terminal performance on either will be great but the AccuBond will have less wind drift than the TSX while matching the trajectories on long shots due to the higher BC. They are also cheaper!!!

Back