Toad River Hunt

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I promised I would post a report of my trip to Toad River, on the northern boundary of the Muskwa-Kechika region of British Columbia. Gil brought his wife Susan, attending services on Sunday morning. We loaded up and left after lunch on Sunday afternoon, driving to Fort Nelson (Mile 300 of the Alaska Highway) the first evening. The following morning, we headed for Toad River (Mile 422 of the Alaska Highway). During the trip, we stopped at Steamboat. They had advertised the best cinnamon rolls on the Alaska Highway. They weren't as good as I remembered from previous trips, but they were nevertheless a welcome break from the monotony of driving.

MikeandGilontheRoad.jpg

HuntersAnticipatingSuccess.jpg

By this point in the journey, gasoline has become a bit expensive. For you living in the USA, the price is per litre ($1.68) and it takes 3.8 litres to make one US gallon. Granted, this was the most expensive gas we encountered on the trip, but after leaving Dawson Creek, the price only climbed steadily upward. In Toad River, we were able to buy gas at 1.559 per litre. We were glad that we had brought a little with us (310 litres in jerry cans).

NoSniveling.jpg

We stopped to drink in some of the mountain grandeur as we entered into the Northern Rockies. There are some delightful vistas along the route. Frankly, it is impossible to do justice with a camera. However, this gives some idea of the vast expanse stretching before us.

MountainSceneOutsideofToadRiver.jpg

MountainSceneAnotherPerspective.jpg

I drove my Lariat (loaded as full as I could make it) and Gil drove his Toyota and towed his holiday trailer. It was one of the most luxurious back country trips I've ever made. I guess I'm growing older since I actually appreciated the comfort and convenience.

OntheRoadtoToad.jpg

We finally arrived in Toad River. Toad River lies in a valley, nestled between some awesome mountain peaks. This is an older picture of the townsite (such as it is).

ToadRiver.jpg

It is a rustic location with some fascinating old buildings.

ToadRiverCafe.jpg

However, we secured a campsite with an excellent view of a delightful beaver pond and the surrounding mountains.

TerrainNearToadRiver.jpg

BeaverPondatToadRiverCampground.jpg

Every night, we were treated to a herd of elk gathered in a field about 1.3 km from our campsite. Unfortunately, due to misreading the regulations, we were unable to take any elk. We found multiple large herds of elk with big bulls throughout the valley. However, they were off limits. We made the disappointing discovered that access to the back country was quite limited; without a horse or a quad, we simply couldn't penetrate as far as we might otherwise have liked. This doesn't mean there was not game present. We thoroughly explored one avenue leading back to an abandoned copper mine. The initial road wasn't too bad, once we forded the river.

BackCountryAccessNearToadRiver.jpg

We managed to make it to a dry gulch. As we topped the hill, we espied three caribou standing in the middle of the gulch. There was a young bull harassing a cow with her calf. The animals were thoroughly incautious, coming within forty yards of us (the cow and the calf). The bull was somewhat more cautious, stopping sixty yards away. The regulations state that bulls must have five points on the uppermost portion of the antler, and I was only able to make this one have four. We saw multiple caribou after this, and all the bulls had four points. In several days of hard hunting, we only saw two caribou taken. Locals told us that the big bulls won't come down until the snow flies in the high country. As it was, temperatures were hovering in the low to mid-twenties while we were there.

We pushed on from this first encounter to explore as far as we could go. We espied a good looking bull moose about a km away as we journeyed deeper into the mountains. He was across a sizable muskeg. We tried some calling, but he wasn't having anything to do with us. Then, we saw that he was already focused on his lady love. Obviously, he was unwilling to leave her side for unknown hussy. Though the new sound may have seemed attractive, I speculated that the bull was wagering that the certainty of a bird in hand... well, you understand. We forded yet another river, finally coming to a ford that I was unwilling to drive into. The Rushing River seemed to have an appropriate name, and all sorts of delights seemed to be promised tantalisingly close. However, being some sixty kilometers from any help, I was loath to gamble that we wouldn't be compelled to walk out after spending a night afield.

RushingRiver.jpg

PreparingtoFordaRiver.jpg

Susan contented herself collecting unusual rocks while Gil and I planned out next move.

SusanDavis.jpg

We tried calling moose a couple of times on the trip out of the wilderness, but there was no success. The next day would be another opportunity to explore a new area.

We arose at five and prepared for a full day. We managed to make it to the top of one of the nearby mountains, only to discover another hunter had preceded us. He was situated with his spotting scope, watching a moose about two kilometers away. Upon careful examination, we pointed out to him that there were in fact three, and possibly four moose. He told us that the day before he had spotted a large boar grizzly to the north (about 1.5 kilometers from where I am standing in the following picture), and another man had watched a sow and cub in that same area earlier the same day. There was certainly game about, but it was ensconced firmly in the back country. The scenery from atop the mountain was spectacular, but it yielded no legal game for us.

GlassingtheValleys.jpg

ValleyTerrainfromAtopPinkMountain.jpg

Later that day, we drove to Muncho Lake.

MunchoLakeEastSide.jpg

MunchoLakeSign.jpg

On the drive back to the camper, we watched a number of stone sheep. One, a near full-curl ram, was well within bow range. It bothered Gil terribly that he didn't take it. However, he would get his chance another day. Because of the limited access and the restrictions on elk, I argued that we needed to go back south and stay in the Pink Mountain area to hunt moose, elk and caribou. There are a couple of zones in that area where I would be able to hunt caribou, and elk were open, as was moose, mule deer and whitetail. So, the decision was made. Though we didn't take any game in Toad River, it was an excellent trip. We saw quite a bit of game (such as the caribou cow and calf in the following picture), but none that was legal for me or that would have allowed us to retrieve the game within the timeframe we allowed ourselves.

CaribouCowandCalf.jpg

Great photos DrMike sounds like you had a good time out there. I have only been in that area once in 1999 got my first and only caribou in the MacDonald creek drainage at the end of August that is still one of the best eating animals I have ever eaten. Also caught my first grayling there, those are some good memories. Need to go back one day with caribou and sheep tags in pocket. Now that you have been there you can be better prepared to hunt it next year. It is an extremely game rich area probably the finest hunting area in B.C. and quite beautiful too bet you can't wait to go back next year :)

Nice trip and great pictures DrMike. I can relate to the fact that Gil could not take a shot at a full curl Stone sheep. That would be me as well, although, I have never seen a Stone sheep in the wild, just bighorn. At least you, he and your wives had a nice trip and saw a good bit of game. That for me is as much fun as shooting at one sometimes. Thanks for the story and pictures.

Mike,

Great story and pictures. That is some beautiful country.

JD338

Hi Mike as usual great job and photographs :wink:
Looking forward to your next adventure.

Blessings,
Dan

The photographs and story are very much appreciated, Mike! It looks like God's calling has taken you to a wonderful life and a great place to live!

Mike if you keep this up I might have to sell the farm and retire up there in thrity years! All the critters up there that you get to hunt, plus country that looks like that, You are a lucky, lucky man!

Beautiful country DrMike. Nice job with the pictures and stories to go with them. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks!

Mike, I just noticed the Muncho Lake picture. My old man has the same picture. He hunted there around 1993 or so. Took a nice moose up there. I assume it is up around Ft. Nelson.

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing them. They are great. I just showed my boy and wife and they were very excited to see them. My wife said she wouldn't mind a place like that to look at! My ears hear "I would love to live in a place like that, lets move there"! Either way, thanks alot for posting them pictures. I am really starting to get pumped. Scotty

Dr Mike,
I loved the hunt pics, just beautiful country. I could picture myself there hunting.

Don

Sometimes it is hard to hunt because I'm just laying back against a balsam looking at the lay of the land. Fall is one of my favourite times (outside of winter, spring and summer) around here. I love to find a nice balsam tree in the late afternoon as the sun softly filters through the spruce. Then, laying back against the fragrant trunk, I permit the warm sun to caress my weary body and drift away into the arms of Morpheus. I've actually found quite a bit of game coming to see what is going on whilst I slept, providing me ample opportunity to tag out upon awakening. It is a delightful country. Scotty, not much has changed at Muncho since your dad was there. Consequently, it is about one and a half hours beyond Toad River, which is almost four hours beyond Fort Nelson. It is a big land. Tell your wife there is lots of work up here in the energy sector (coal mining, oil and gas exploration, tar sands development, diamond drilling) and support industries.

DrMike, I would guess the diamond drilling has changed somewhat since I worked on one in the late 1950's?
Charlie

I'm certain there are elements that are unchanged. You still have to find the kimberlite pipes and begin the mining process.

Wow great stuff, thanks. By the way when are we going to see how that 180 AB works for out?

Corey

DrMike what a great story and wonderful pictures.
Hard to believe it's fall somewhere, it's supposed to be 98 degrees again today in Dallas.

Jealous.

Howard

Howard,

It was 1 C (about 34 F) this morning when I walked home from the tire store. It is up to 7 C now. It can be brisk in the fall, but what a lovely time of year to be out in the woods.

How I wish I was there.

As a young man in my late teens and early twenties I was in the US Army.
I was stationed at Ft Carson, Co for almost three years.
I vaguely remember fall in the high country.

Good luck with your upcoming hunts!
Please take more pictures.

Howard

Those are awesome picture DrMike. .. I love it. I also appreciated the story of your adventure that came with it. Thanks for posting.

Sweet story & pics. I recognize alot of the areas in the pics form my years working on the realignment and rebuilding of ther Alaska HWY.

I leave early this sunday morning for my moose hunting trip for a week....its cooling off...should be perfect. We have 3 guys in our group with tags this year again. :mrgreen:

Back