wayno945

Handloader
Jan 29, 2012
20131129_085651_zps0f1face9.jpg

20131129_122734_zpsa2ea8412.jpg

20131130_071800_zpsd1e209b5.jpg

20131130_071833_zps50940222.jpg

20131129_074106_zps265b8ad8.jpg

This year I was lucky enough to draw a late rifle bull tag in Arizona Unit 10. I was expecting a tough hunt, most likely seeing more hunters than elk. This ended up being an accurate prediction, except for a little bit of luck on opening morning! My coworker and I headed up for our hunt on Thanksgiving afternoon, which didn't leave much time to set up our camp after the four hour drive from Phoenix. The spot we chose for our base camp conveniently had a large ridge behind it, ideal for glassing in the morning.

We woke up to a cold morning on Friday, frost covering everything and a freezing cold tent. Both of us headed up the ridge, roughly about 300 yards apart. I noticed a lot of fresh sign as I climbed the ridge, so I decided to bump around the top a little more before I pulled out the spotting scope. The first thing I encountered ended up being a young teenager, just randomly walking by himself. He had no rifle, so I could only assume his father had sent him up there to push the ridge. I headed the direction that he had came from, attempting to relocate my hunting partner to find a different spot to hunt.

The next thing I noticed was 3 brownish tan flashes heading through the junipers in front of me. Elk cows I thought, maybe they have a bull with them. I headed parallel to them, across the ridge to the other side. Luckily, the elk turned up the ridge towards me and passed through a small opening in the junipers about 100 yards away. I raised the rifle and counted one cow... two cows ... three cows .... ANTLERS .... crosshairs on vitals BANG! The bull jumped and kicked so I knew I hit him well. He piled up after making it about 20 yards. It was a quick death for sure.

The rifle I was using was my Nosler M48 TGR in 35 Whelen. This is by far my favorite rifle, such that I have given it the nickname "The Colonel". This was the first of many kills I hope to have with it. I was really impressed with its performance on this elk with a 250 grain Partition. The bullet entered the ribcage, clipped the stomach, bisected the lower half of the heart, broke some more ribs on the way out, broke the shoulder into pieces, and kept on going. I didn't find any pieces of that bullet.

My hunt only lasted 30 minutes but it was a fun 30 minutes. Unfortunately my coworker did not have the same luck. We hunted hard for five days more and saw plenty of hunters, mule deer, and javelina, but not a single elk. I also had the opportunity to break in my Canam Commander, which is an almost perfect hunting vehicle. All in all, it was a trip to remember!

Wayne

Awesome luck and country, nice "broken hearted bull" too! Sounds like a great time!

Wayne, congratulations. You did very well. That is a great account of a superb hunt. You tagged a fine looking bull, as well. The Whelen performed as expected.

Congrats on your elk, pretty nice it came together for you so quickly. Really like your TGR looks very business like, sounds like the 250 gr Partition did very well, need to try that one some time.....

Thanks guys. I really have to thank everyone on here that praise the Whelen. I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't see all of those positive experiences with the caliber. I now am a true believer :mrgreen:

wayno945":33mdq25l said:
Thanks guys. I really have to thank everyone on here that praise the Whelen. I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't see all of those positive experiences with the caliber. I now am a true believer :mrgreen:

That makes the heart of some forum members positively glow. Eh, Gerry? Scotty? Jim? :grin:

Wayne

Congrats on a very nice bull.
The 35 Whelen loaded up with the 250 gr PT is a penetrating power house.
Nicy done.

JD338

Wayne, congratulations on a fine bull :mrgreen: also welcome to the Whelen family :). With a 250gr. Pt it will always get the job done. Great story & photos as well thank you very much for posting...
Look forward to hearing many more stories with you & The Colonel :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Congratulations Wayne on a fine bull and a great shot .
Fine looking rifle too !

Great story and as expected for the old Whelen.

What's your load Wayne?

Back