Tape for Burris rings?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I just got a set of Burris rings for the 444 and there are strips of paper with an adhesive back on them. They say to stick the paper on the lower half of the ring for friction? Does anyone use these or am I better off lapping the rings and then mounting the scope?

Much better off lapping the rings.
I lap all rings on all firearms before mounting a scope, always.

I lap rings and use my address labels that I get from Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I stick them on both halves of rings after I use a Blue pen. Works good.

I just bought my first 444, and shot it last week. Its a 6.5lb single shot before mounting a scope. Its also the first time I've had a scope shift on me. Plenty of recoil with Hornady 265 Superformance (chrono'd right at the advertised 2400 fps.) The best solution for scope shift i read was to clean everything well and then brush some silicone on the rings just before installing the scope. I haven't tried it just yet but I will as soon as I get a chance, sounds a little more fool proof than paper.

Looks like a great idea Lynn, especially for the more expensive 34 mm scopes that always seem to get ring marks from mounting them.

Don't remember where or when I read it but I read that aluminum foil made great ring spacers and add just enough tension to keep the scope from slipping plus it's thin and has a uniform thickness.
That's all I've ever used when mounting scopes and doesn't leave marks on the scopes. Put it in both halves.

Hello,

Just joined the Forum, and while cruising thru the Topics ran across this one.

Burris makes couple different types, and was wondering what ring & base you used?

Guns & Glass,

Welcome aboard. No doubt the appropriate answer will be forthcoming shortly. We enjoy meeting new people and engaging in the mutual exchange of information. I'd like to invite you to take a moment and introduce yourself to those posting here. You can do this at http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22761. Again, welcome aboard. Trust we'll see you joining in on the fun.

Back