Sweet Corn.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
My family done up 97 dozen so far the last 2 Saturdays out of my sweet corn patch, and put away 120 quarts in the freezer. Working on the second patch now and it got one more go in it then it's done. What is sweet corn selling for per dozen in your areas this yr?

If the corn is shucked and packaged, it is four ears for $7.49! Ouch. Just the ears are going for three for $2.49. And the corn that is available is almost always dry, small kernels, and often has some sort of mold on the tassels. It ain't pretty! We've not eaten much corn this summer, that's for sure.

If the corn is shucked and packaged, it is four ears for $7.49! Ouch. Just the ears are going for three for $2.49. And the corn that is available is almost always dry, small kernels, and often has some sort of mold on the tassels. It ain't pretty! We've not eaten much corn this summer, that's for sure.
Dang, that's awful. Average is probably $5 per dozen here, but at produce auctions it has been running higher, $6-$7, and last week some went for $8.50. That's expensive corn around here, but they aren't paying that for second class sweet corn.

I get on youtube occasionally and pull up videos of growing sweet corn just to see some people's ideas or opinions. I have to say, some people that supposedly know what they're doing and have 4K likes on their video, I wouldn't eat the corn they're showing. Big kernelled tough looking stuff, both on the cob and when it's cut off. Tender and crunchy is how I like it and wont put away junk. You lose some quantity but more than make up for it in quality.

I had some coon and deer damage this yr.........not a ton but enough that I got on it. Couple of dog proof traps took care of the coon, and the deer I cut some slivers of Ivory Soap and put in my sprayer with good warm water. Shook it up good and drenched the grass and weeds surrounding the end of the field they were coming in. Smelled like a perfume factory around there when I was done. You have to keep after it every couple days, but that kept them out.

This is the poorest quality corn I've ever seen. Here in northern BC, we get a lot of corn from the Taber, AB area. For many years we got Chilliwack corn. Always the corn was highest quality and reasonable. The quality and the quantity are very poor this year. And the prices are double and triple what I've seen in years past.

I plant enough sweet for a month of eating and then freeze 12qts off the cob.
Around my area people with sweet corn stands are charging $3-4 a dozen.

I plant enough sweet for a month of eating and then freeze 12qts off the cob.
Around my area people with sweet corn stands are charging $3-4 a dozen.

I don't know I just took a walk through the patch this evening and if I had to guess there's another 50 dozen ready by Friday. Don't know what the heck I'm going to do with it. My family could maybe put up another 20 dozen............maybe.

Back