Successful day on the range!

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I had a few new ones and a few old favorites on the range today. Found quite a few promising loads for further work and only one that gave me fits.

6mmx284 - It shoots 95gr Bergers over 54gr of RL22 at 3400fps into .75". But.... I don't always trust Bergers and wanted to get the 90gr NABs to work. I got them to fly into just under an inch over 54.5grs of RL22. Now I'll play with AOL to see if I can tighten that up. My 13yr old son managed to shoot 6 rounds into 1.5" with the Berger load. He's decided he wants use this gun on deer this year. At 13 he already has a 14" length of pull! He's still a little shy about recoil - didn't like the 7mm-08.

257 Weatherby custom - This new one has a 31" Douglas barrel and I knew I'd get good speed but you have to get accuracy first. The 110gr NABs patterned well..... for a shotgun. Tried RL25 and IMR7828 to no avail. There were indications that the NABs were not flying true. There is an "8" circled right above the caliber designation on the barrel - Twist rate? we'll see. Tried the 120gr PTs with RL25 and at max loads of 71gr and 72gr got .75 groups - now were cooking! If Nosler would come out with a 125 or 130gr LRAB I'd be in heaven.

7mm-08 - Found a winner in 50gr H414 under a 120BT. Less than an inch and the same with 49 & 48gr. COAL adjustments should also tighten this up hopefully. My son still doesn't like the recoil because this gun is pretty light being a M70 Featherweight. I also want to try 140gr ABs and even the 150gr LRABs.

270 Weatherby - No new loads just trying to empty some brass so I can stuff some 150gr LRABs. This M70 will put 130grPTs and 150gr BTs over max loads of 7828 into 1" groups all day. Just have to pay attention to the trigger - it's a stock model and really needs to be stoned down to about 3lbs.

35Whelen Ruger77RS - Was trying to work up a load for the 225gr NAB. I tried Varget and RL15 and every group was about 2" until I got to 59.5gr of RL15 and it dropped to 1.25". We'll try to improve by shortening up the OAL. I started at 3.340 so I have room to play. A better trigger on this one would help too.

All in all it was a good day. I sent about 250 rounds down range. I didn't chrono anything today just shooting for groups. I also got lucky today and picked up the last 3lbs of RL22 and 200 7mm 150grLRABs from Butch's today! Just waiting on my 280AI to get back so I can bed the action into the stock and get shooting!

Good shooting,

Scott

Scott that is not a successful day that is a great day :mrgreen:.
Thanks for the report!!

Blessings,
Dan

Scott,

You did well. Any day spent firing old friends and new at the range will be informative; and it sounds as if you did particularly well with several of your rifles.

Wow! That is some serious shooting Scott! Way to get after it. Don't be scared to push up into the 60 grain range. My Whelen did the same till I broke 60. I actually run 61 grains of RL15 with a CCI250. Very accurate in my rifle. Once you know your speeds, you'll know if you have room for more.

Very nice though. Sounds like an awesome day.

Nice work Scott.
You are ready for show time.

JD338

Back