Sticker shock?

jhuener

Beginner
Dec 13, 2008
I suspect that there are others on this site that reload for shotgun as well as centerfire rifle. I mostly load 12 and 20 gauge, and have presses for both, but I also have an old family .410, and have a set of old Lee hand tools to load for it. Without the convenience of a press, I don't do a lot of loading - just enough to go out and shoot a few woodcock with it every fall for a change of pace.

I recently decided to splurge and got a resizing die for my press to resize my .410 brass, and avoid the problems of sticky brass in the field. Once I'd sized up a bunch, I had to load them to complete the process. I dug out my .410 components and started loading. I hadn't gone very far when I ran out of powder (WW 296). That prompted me to take a look at what I paid for it.

I fear that I won't be finding a lot of Winchester 296 in the $3.35 range. I guess it's been a while since I picked up that pound of powder. The wads are a different story - Fleet Farm was getting out of the reloading business, and the cheapskate old German in me couldn't pass up bags of wads at $0.27 per bag, even if I'm not sure when I'll use them all.

Anyway - I thought some here would get a kick out of the discovery.

Joel

WOW, that is crazy... I have an old can of W748 that was 12.00 from the UP, my buddy gave me. I thought that was cheap!

Those prices are crazy. Yeah, you're in for a bit of a surprise when you pick up the new powder. :grin:

Yeah, and I remember when Dad bought his first new car, back in 1970. A Pontiac cost $4,000 then...

Sure wish our handloading/hunting/shooting hobby wasn't so expensive - but if you want to play, you've got to pay.

Yesterday we went through most of a box of Hornady factory ammo for the .500 S&W revolver... I just checked this morning, Hornady has a recommended list price of $78 for a box of 20 rounds of that stuff! :shock: That's the 350 gr hollow point XTP rated at 1700 fps/2246 fpe. Good ammo, but good grief! Glad I handload for that big boy.

I see it in catalogs though for "only" about $57/per box of 20. Gee, a bargain! :grin:

Guy

On the other hand in "real" dollars electronics have pretty much gone the other way.....gotten way better at a fraction of the price. Just bought a new led 60" TV....$899 and a fantastic picture.

Back