Spotting Scope Question

killdeernow

Beginner
Dec 20, 2006
I'm looking at purchasing a spotting scope and I can't decide between a straight or angled eye piece.

I want to get this right due to the prices of these things.

So, what do you guys recommend and why? Thanks,

V/R

Rob

It depends on the use . If your using it off a bench, prone or shooting box the angled eye piece is nice since you don't have to move a lot and get out of position from behind your rifle or pistol.
For a window mount or tripod for glassing a ridge or open planes the straight eye piece might be better for you. Hope this helps.

A hunter-shooter needs both BUT if you can only purchase one i would go with the straight - the angled one is really only used when hunting and using a short lightweight tripod . JMO :wink:

Cheers :) RJ

I have used both but recently when I upgraded I got the straight one. If you are standing,or sitting behind an object it is a blessing.

My present spotting scope is a straight porro prism type. I like it because it takes up less space in my range bag.

I have a Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60mm with the straight eye piece. I would recommend the straight eye piece.

JD338

I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'm going with the straight style. Take care,

I was looking at spotting scopes and have to decide on straight or angled.
From the replies here I'm inclined to go with straight.

Back