Speer says one thing and I find another

I only have recovered two .277 bullets from deer. The Speer was a 150gr hot core and the other was a 150gr Core-Lokt Rem factory load.
003_zpsxn0wpejj.jpg

Both bullets were recovered from large bucks shot @ around 80 yds. The Speer bullet weighed only 86grs. @ 58% of its original weight. The Core-Lokt weighted 101 grs. @ 67%.
The rifle I had didn't care for 130 or 140 gr. bullets but shot 150gr. with good accuracy so I killed most my deer with 150gr Speer or Hornady bullets with good results. "Mostly Speer"
Billy

Personally I can't compare these bullet you commented on taking deer... any bullet will take deer. I know a guy who used to take em every year with a triple duce.

What Bear78 said about penetrating drift wood, which is seasoned a lot and very hard.. and penetrated 12-14 inches and still was intact, is very assuring in my book.

...I've shot a lot of antelope, deer, bear, eik, & moose w/ GrandSlams, none of 'em complained...

slickrem":dqfui09r said:
Um, if it's molten lead poured into a copper jacket, me having plumbing experience knows, when you solder a joint the right way, oxidation is next to non-existent, and it's impossible to separate the joints.

I think that you will find that, during your plumbing experience, you were heating the copper not the solder. The solder is melted primarily by the heat of the copper. If you drip molten solder onto cold copper it is not going to bond. I would have no expectations of molten lead bonding to the copper jackets unless the jackets were also heated. I don't think Speer ever claimed bonding with the HotCor process, did they?

you got a point dude, only lead being heated to 800+ degrees into a small shallow copper cup?? Hard to believe the copper wouldn't heat up and fuse to the lead.

Speer states "Hot-core bullets are not bonded bullets". Why the hot-core works so well with out bonding or mechanically held in place is there is no lube between the core and jacket and no oxidation when molten lead is poured into the jacket. And yes the GS went to a single core some years ago. A mag-tip might be what you have, it was part of the evolution that lead to the GS which has the features of both the HC & MT bullets.

Back