Son's First Elk

AFG270

Handloader
Aug 26, 2013
I went with my Son on his first elk hunt in Arizona and he was successful with this spike. We hunted for 5 days covering many miles on foot ( I'm still recovering) and only saw cows until he spotted this guy about 200 yards away. He shot him in the front shoulder with his 7mm RM and factory Federal 175 gr TBBC. Complete pass through and the bull only when a short distance. We had a great time, as it is always enjoyable to hunt with your child.

20161130_102350_zpsi0e4gitn.jpg

Congratulations. Each elk is a trophy; none of them come easy. That one will provide excellent table fare. Again, congratulations to your son.

Congrats!!! This is going to be a great memory. I'm sure many more to come.

Excellent. Congratulations to both you and your son.

JD338

Congratulations! Great job by the young man. Great memories for you both

Allen, that terrain looks familiar (-:

Congrats to you and your boy on the elk!

As Mike said, any elk is a trophy!

Nice fat spike, yummy! I always like to see beginners ( especially youngsters) start with "regular" trophies, i.e. cows, spikes, raghorns. If they get a really big bull, first time, they are usually "done". Its good to have a "goal", a dream hunt in the future for them. Don't get me wrong, on a hunt like most do, "any elk" on the ground is a trophy, and if a 370 bull was his first, Great! ha. I see these TV shows where some guy takes his young son/daughter to a place that obviously costs bookoo $thousands and the young teen ( some preteens even) shoots a big bull. Kind of hard to get excited after that at cows/spikes, etc. But, hey, I'm not being critical, if I had the money, I would do the same for my kids and "especially" for my grand babies! :) Glad your son scored!

Congratulations to the both of you :wink:. In my humble opinion harvesting any Elk is a trophy as there is so much hard work put into the hunt!
I am sure as you taste that first steak all the great memories you made will come back.
Thank you for the post & photo.

Blessings,
Dan

Thank you everyone. BBQ some loin last night, wow is it good.

e4f69614-8707-40a0-a511-7e47ec50fad7_zps6sdfhvah.jpg

Back