Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
DSC09649.JPG

DSC09650.JPG

DSC09654.JPG

DSC09655.JPG

DSC09656.JPG

DSC09657.JPG

I joined two clubs today, those of the Whelen and the No. 1.

Very, very nice. That is a sharp looking set of horns... :lol:

Sweet rifle too! Who says you can't kill two birds with one stone? I am one very jealous man Trevor.

Thanks, CC. The antlers were my grandfather's. I haven't had the pleasure of chasing muleys yet.

You are going to love that #1!! Now the 35 Whelen, well anything on a 30-06 case cannot be anything but great too!! Nice photo's you took. They look really sharp. Now maybe a 2.5x8-36mm Leupold would just be the icing on the cake. What do you think? :lol:

We here at the Nosler forum are more then ready and willing to assist you in your RADD disease and in spending your hard earned dollars! It is a duty we take very seriously. :mrgreen:
David

Nice, you got a 35-06 instead :) Thought hard about getting one of those looking forward to seeing how yours shoots.

Trevor,

Nice looking rifle!
What bullet(s) are you planning on using in your Whelen?

Welcome to the 35 Whelen club. :wink:

JD338

Great looking rifle Trevor.

You wanted a 25-06 and wound up with a 35-06 huh?
Happens to all of us......
You know what they say:
If you want God to laugh tell him your plans! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Awesome choice Trevor! That is a sweet rifle! Man, get some bullets and get to shooting! I think your going to like it, alot!

Nice! Dont know that Id ever have need of a big bore like that ..... since when does need have anything to do with it.... :) In the right part of the country 25-06's are pretty common. Not so the Whelen Im thinkin' You find a .25 eventually..... Enjoy! CL

Sometimes these things happen for a reason. There seems to be a 35 whelen epidemic going around this place. You made a good choice, looks good!

Well heck, it's still an '06 case... Just necked up a tad more! :grin:

Great looking rifle. I messed around with one of those .35 Whelen Number One rifles at the Post Falls Idaho Cabelas - NICE balance! I'd think of that one as a keeper for sure. Enjoy!

jmad_81":l62s4xag said:
Sometimes these things happen for a reason. There seems to be a 35 whelen epidemic going around this place. You made a good choice, looks good!

Jake, they make the nicest carrying rifles out there. Think of having everything your 338 gives you power wise, in a rifle with a 22-24" tube, no muzzle brake, 60 grains of powder or less and you can stack extras up in the magazine like cord wood. It isn't made for 600 yard elk busting, but from 0-400 it handles the mail. Plus, you have the ability to stoke them with 280 grain A-Frames for about 2400 FPS just in cause you happen to spot a dinosaur!

Thanks guys.

A few weeks ago I was pretty well decided that my next rifle would be a 25-06. Yesterday, however, I went in to buy a .338-06 off of the used rack after mulling it over for a few days. It had sold. Before leaving this rifle caught my eye.

David, I'm not sure what I'm going to scope it with yet. I think I'm going to exchange the high rings that came with the rifle for lows. I'll probably put my Redfield Widefield on it for now. The VX3 is definitely on the list, but I have been wanting to try out a Vortex Viper.

I haven't decided on which bullets to try first yet. I also need to come up with dies and brass. I've got some time as I'll need get the rings swapped before I can shoot it.

Why do they send these with high rings? Will I be ok with lows in terms of loading? It looks like there will be plenty of room for the objective. I guess the eyepiece will be the determining factor.

Well I'll come right out and say it, "I'm green with envy." Why? Because I love Ruger #1's and I think the .35 Whelen is a great cartridge. I think that if it were mine, a Leupold 2x7X would look just fine on that rifle. Good find. 8)
Paul B.

Hard to beat the 225 gr AccuBond when it come to an all around load. Back when the 225 gr Ballistic Tip was still around I had real good success with 53.5 gr AA 2015 and the same load was very accurate with the 225 gr Partitions. Speeds were chonographed at 2718 and 2713 respectively. As is well known here, my favorite load now is 60 gr Varget with the 225 gr AccuBond my notes say it is going 2763fps.

By the way ROVERT...

Thanks a lot. I had just recently managed to convince myself that I could make it through 2012 without buying another rifle. Ya bum... Now I've got an intense case of Number One fever... Drat.

After looking at the photos of your .35 Whelen, I can find all sorts of ways to justify a new .30-06 Number One... Doggone it!

Guy

Back