Short range optics suggestion

Charlie-NY

Handloader
Mar 11, 2005
I bought a (20") 45-70 Katahdin barrel for my Encore ProHunter. I'll probably use it for treestand hunting black bears in Canada & Maine. The barrel comes with peep sights from the factory.

Typical shots range from 20yds to 75yds depending how the outfitters set up the bait sites. I'd use the peep sights but my low light vision isn't what it use to be and the big bears usually come in to the bait later than smaller animals.

I was thinking of buying my first red-dot type of sight for this particular set-up. Both the Nikon and Burris red-dots look good, but I have no experience with any of them. I do not want a low end unit even though some guys have had luck with. With heavy loads the rifle can really test the quality of the optics.

I'd appreciate any first hand experience that you guys would like to share.

Charlie-NY":10q87kfu said:
I bought a (20") 45-70 Katahdin barrel for my Encore ProHunter. I'll probably use it for treestand hunting black bears in Canada & Maine. The barrel comes with peep sights from the factory.

Typical shots range from 20yds to 75yds depending how the outfitters set up the bait sites. I'd use the peep sights but my low light vision isn't what it use to be and the big bears usually come in to the bait later than smaller animals.

I was thinking of buying my first red-dot type of sight for this particular set-up. Both the Nikon and Burris red-dots look good, but I have no experience with any of them. I do not want a low end unit even though some guys have had luck with. With heavy loads the rifle can really test the quality of the optics.

...........................................Red Dot sights are very good because there are no parallax and eye relief issues to worry about!.....You can mount the red dots conventionally or in the scout position, which mounted either way gives you quick target acquisition. IMO, the red dots scopes will be easier for your eyes to pick up the target............For a traditional scope in a variable power, keep your powers low!! The Weaver Classic V3 1-3x20 would be an IDEAL variable for the 45-70. Great FOV`s and set on 1x, it will also give you both eyes open aiming for quick target acquisition. It has a 94% light transmission rating and will do the same thing in resolution, clarity, brightness and in low light as many of the more expensive scopes including Nikon, Burris and Leupold! That would be my pick if going to a scope other than the red dot! For $150 it is an excellent buy!................Another poster "bullet" just put one on his Mod 7 Remy; 350 Rem. Mag!

Big Squeeze":3id3wdzp said:
Charlie-NY":3id3wdzp said:

...........................................Red Dot sights are very good because there are no parallax and eye relief issues to worry about!.....You can mount the red dots conventionally or in the scout position, which mounted either way gives you quick target acquisition. IMO, the red dots scopes will be easier for your eyes to pick up the target............For a traditional scope in a variable power, keep your powers low!! The Weaver Classic V3 1-3x20 would be an IDEAL variable for the 45-70. Great FOV`s and set on 1x, it will also give you both eyes open aiming for quick target acquisition. It has a 94% light transmission rating and will do the same thing in resolution, clarity, brightness and in low light as many of the more expensive scopes including Nikon, Burris and Leupold! That would be my pick if going to a scope other than the red dot! For $150 it is an excellent buy!................Another poster "bullet" just put one on his Mod 7 Remy; 350 Rem. Mag!
...................Forgot to add that the actual eye relief for the V3 is 3.5" on 3x and 4" on the 1x. The 3.12" on the specs is wrong!

I wouldn't hesitate to use a dot sight.
I have a 50mm dot mounted as far forward on the forearm as I can get on my AR-15. I know the guns are very different but, mounting the sight as far forward as you can will increase your feild of view and allow for faster tagret aquisition.
You will also be able to keep both eyes open.
My sight has a dot that covers a 3" circle @ 100 yds. I have read that the human eye picks out amber faster than red or green. Something to consider before purchasing.

Charlie-NY,

I just got an Aimpoint Micro H-1 red dot sight to evaluate it for dangerous game applications (read that: big rifles). So far I am impressed with the quality of the unit, and I thought it was the coolest optic I saw at the SHOT Show in February.

http://www.aimpoint.com/

It comes with a Weaver style base installed, and I am going to start it on a .308 Win, and go up from there.

jim

Forgot to say earlier.....
Alot of guys mount dots on their 12ga shot guns but, I would definately read the fine print in the warranty before purchasing.

Back