Sheep/Goat

alaska100

Handloader
Jan 31, 2012
I have found the Goat to be a little tougher than Sheep as well as the desire to anchor them ( Goat ) on the spot where they are hit, so as to keep them from looking for a crevice to fall into. I will take my new 257 Weatherby on its first Sheep hunt, but feel I might be better served to continue to use the 300 H & H for Goats. Please remember, unlike you fellows, it is either the 257, 300 or 348, as I don't have dozens of rifles like you gentlemen. Your opinion ? Brooke

The 257 will work for goat too but you are correct they are much tougher than sheep. The 300 H&H will work fine and might give you a bit more peace of mind. Either way hitting some bone in the shoulders or spine helps anchor them too, good luck.

Yeah- goats are tougher than sheep and typically live in nastier, steeper country...hard to go wrong with a .300 of any flavor but it still might not work out. A friend of mine just pounded one with a .338... and it still managed to use it's last ounce of life to launch itself into the deepest crag in the mountain.

A buddy of mine swears by the high lung shot on goats to anchor them quickly- goat hair is so long that most people shoot too low in the chest for a quick stop.

If moose were that tough...we would hunt them with howitzers.

You're well served with the selection of cartridges represented as being available to you, Brooke. The 257 Bee will work well on goat. They do endure quite a bit of punishment on occasion, but they are not bullet proof. I'd be inclined to favour the 300 H&H, however. The extra energy available for dumping into the beast doesn't hurt a thing.

use the 300 H and H and use a 200 grain bullet. The 200 will give you more, of everything, and drops only 1 inch more than the 180 at 400 yards. Goats are tough and so is the hunt for them, you don't want to take any chances on losing it after you shoot it. i.e. Hodgeman's post above. I would also tell you to use a premium bullet but I know that is the only thing your great uncle uses when he loads for you. Also Hodgeman and Gerry's advise about where to shoot them is good advise. I probably would not even take the 257 on a sheep hunt but would use it on Caribou, Wolf and Deer, but that is just me. The 257 is enough gun for sheep, but again sheep can also be a tough hunt and you don't want to take any chances on not bringing home your trophy and you could encounter an unfriendly brown bear. But this is just my not so humble opinion (-: Hope to see you in two weeks--try hard to make it, if you can, as I know your busy

Brooke I have never hunted goats but the advice you are receiving is from very learned hunters :wink:. I have never used the 300 H & H but have the utmost respect for that great old calibre. When shooting tough big game the more mass in the bullet is better, that has always been my motto (y). Good luck on your goat hunt, please remember to have Fun, shoot Straight and most of all be safe.
I am hoping to see a good story of your hunt along with some photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

These guys sure give good sound advice Brooke. I hope you enjoy the heck out of your hunt and wish you much success. The 300 H&H is just a classic cartridge that should serve you very well for your goat.

We need photographs and a nice story when it is all said and done!

David

Brooke, your thread did bring back fond memories. My husband and I had a great time hunting goats in British Columbia Canada years ago. We landed on an Alpine lake in I think late August or early Sept. Beautiful country and goats. We also enjoyed Tahr hunting in New Zealand as well. We combined our hunt with a Red Stag hunt. New Zealand is also beautiful.. Homeroz, have you hunted New Zealand ?

Anyway, back to your question. I agree with everyone else, take the 300 and I agree with Cheyenne, use a 200 gr in it for your goat hunt. I envy you Brooke and wish I was young enough once again to hunt them, but I thank you for the thread as it made my day thinking about hunts of yesteryear

I want to thank each of you who responded to my thread, thank you. Excellent information and it is appreciated.

As far as bullets go he likes Swift and North fork, but was trying to buy some from Alaska, and he has had a hard time getting in touch with them. Does any of our Alaska members know if he is still in business,

Hodgeman, do you know what bullet your friend was using in the 338 ?

April, I hope when I am at the age of you and Dr Mike, I have accumulated the memories and knowledge the two of you possess. I see it in my grandmothers eyes some time when we are around a campfire and she shares a story from her past with me. I am so lucky to be surrounded by so many wonderful people , here and at home

alaska100":2fm8z7h4 said:

I believe it was a TSX.

On the subject of goats and bullets... there is some debate among the goat crowd about the bullet type. Goats are tough as nails but they're not really all that big- they're positively slab sided so not really thick either. The really tough bullets sort of zip through without as much trauma as you'd really like.

My .338 wielding buddy says is he ever takes the .338 after goat again, he'll use a relatively soft bullet that will open easily and create more wounding. Another friend of mine has dropped half a dozen with the .308 and a standard 165gr Core Lokt- but he makes it a practice to never shoot past 150yds. He lives in goat country so it's a luxury he can afford.

I've never hunted goats, but I have hunted sheep some years ago. .30-06, 150 grain Partition. Shot him bedded down.
The quality of the meat was very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/albuwo.html
01e5eacae1a74ce3ef5b85ee31e880d4.png

I would opt for the Partition or AccuBond. Either the 180 or 200 would easily take care of your goat. Anchoring them with a shoulder shot is ideal, they have a tendency to superman off the mountain on thier final run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman":2kw4jkjv said:
alaska100":2kw4jkjv said:

I believe it was a TSX.

On the subject of goats and bullets... there is some debate among the goat crowd about the bullet type. Goats are tough as nails but they're not really all that big- they're positively slab sided so not really thick either. The really tough bullets sort of zip through without as much trauma as you'd really like.

My .338 wielding buddy says is he ever takes the .338 after goat again, he'll use a relatively soft bullet that will open easily and create more wounding. Another friend of mine has dropped half a dozen with the .308 and a standard 165gr Core Lokt- but he makes it a practice to never shoot past 150yds. He lives in goat country so it's a luxury he can afford.

I would be in the school of having a bit softer bullet that does some damage on the way through like the heavier for calibre Ballistic Tip's, any of the AccuBond's or Partition's for example. Something like a Swift Scirocco or Hornady Spire point and Interbond would be other good examples.

The difference in bone structure and muscle mass between young goats and big mature billies is pretty amazing so having too soft of a bullet isn't a good idea. In Hodgeman's buddies 338 something like a 200 gr Ballistic Tip or 180-200 gr AccuBond would be perfect.

Hodgeman, salmon chaser, Gerry-----thank you!

Bear, thank you -----my uncle knows the fellow, but his phone seems to no longer be working and they are a fair piece from us. I am sure you know this but custom brass is in Arizona and has from time to time in the past carried bullets from Alaska. We still have some bullets that he made for us in the past but wanted to talk to him about bullets for the 348 but have been unable to get in touch with him. We know he is very independent and might just be fishing but usually you can still leave a message.

Gerry, Hodgeman--we were thinking about the swift scirocco, not the a frame. Gerry you also mentioned the Scirocco. but they don't make a 200, so I may need to look at something less than 200, thanks again. Brooke

Having harvested goats and sheep with the 6.5 x 55, 270 Win, 7 MM's ( Rem Mag and STW) I can tell you that while I have used cup and core bullets for the most part (Nosler Partitions and Ballistic tips in the 6.5 and 270, respectively, and Sierra GameKings in the 7 MM's) with great success from 15 to 300 yards, I would not hesitate to use the AccuBond or A Frames of either the 180 or 200 gr persuasion in your 300 H&H. The 257 Wby would work well with heavier bullet weights, and be very flat shooting. The end choice is yours and should be determined by your confidence in the rifle and load. In grizzly country, the extra comfort level of the larger caliber can add to your peace of mind.

I too, prefer to use the high lung/shoulder shot to anchor animals in their place in steep terrain. But there is an old goat hunter's trick that may come in handy if your goat hangs up in a tough spot to access: shoot it again (even if dead) to disturb the animal and/or cause the muscles to relax and the animal may slide of its perch to a more accessible point for recovery. Another trick my Dad taught me is that mature old billies can be very curious creatures, and if not disturbed, but not visible, a shot will often bring them out of hiding to see what is going on in their territory (usually within a half hour or so). If you get busted during a stalk, don't worry too much unless they immediately vacate the area, stay in sight, pay little attention to them and angle towards, but not directly st them. They will tend to just watch, and I have had them bed where they can watch me climb slowly into range, set up and take them in their beds.

Brooke, the 71 was mentioned in regards to Hawk bullets. I will be the first to admit that at this point in my life, I am not up to date, but I would use the Woodeigh bullet over the Hawk--but this comment is based on what I 'did know" and perhaps the Hawk bullet is a better bullet than it used to be. Again, this may not be true anymore but in the past I would also choose the Kodiak over the Hawk, if he is still in business. I am sure the Hawk will work, but I believe the 71 is a very important rifle to you and wanted to at least let you know my thoughts. Also Bear78 is still hunting and loading so he is in a better position to guide you than I

Gil, what a great post you sent Brooke's way, that is some good info for sure. Have you hunted goat with a Bow ?

Not only Brooke is being taught :wink:, being a flatlander and having the privilege of hunting with Gil & DrMike I have learned so much. I will likely never hunt goats but I know that if by chance I was able too I would be taking my 35 Whelen loaded up with my 225gr ABs or 200gr ABs.
Thanks Brooke for posting the initial question I for one have enjoyed the teachings!! (y).

Blessings,
Dan

alaska100":174kkgd4 said:
Gerry, Hodgeman--we were thinking about the swift scirocco, not the a frame. Gerry you also mentioned the Scirocco. but they don't make a 200, so I may need to look at something less than 200, thanks again. Brooke

While I have taken a couple of goats with the 200 gr Speer Grand Slam in my old 308 Norma Mag I would be looking at the 165 or 180 gr Scirocco in your 300 H&H if you decide to go with a Swift bullet. Either of those would work just fine as would the same weights of AccuBond's. I have taken one goat with the 180 gr AccuBond from a 30-06 and it worked very well, they would be just as good in your 300 H&H.

Dan, I'll be carrying the 35 Whelen this Saturday loaded up with some 200 gr AccuBond's, expecting good things from that combo ;)

Europe":3j4u670c said:
Brooke, the 71 was mentioned in regards to Hawk bullets. I will be the first to admit that at this point in my life, I am not up to date, but I would use the Woodeigh bullet over the Hawk--but this comment is based on what I 'did know" and perhaps the Hawk bullet is a better bullet than it used to be. Again, this may not be true anymore but in the past I would also choose the Kodiak over the Hawk, if he is still in business. I am sure the Hawk will work, but I believe the 71 is a very important rifle to you and wanted to at least let you know my thoughts. Also Bear78 is still hunting and loading so he is in a better position to guide you than I

Gil, what a great post you sent Brooke's way, that is some good info for sure. Have you hunted goat with a Bow ?

Back