Scope zero/seating depth session

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
I played musical scopes a while back and finally got time to get everything out. I saw a coyote on my morning drive-about today, so the first order of business was to check zero on the .243 with a Zeiss Diavari V/VM. Exceptional scope. The 80 grain BTs landed about two inches high at 100 yds; perfect.

Next up was the .270 with a tried-and-true load of the 130 Partition over 55.0 grains H4350. It was about 25 degrees Fahrenheit; this load lost only 30 FPS from summer, still right under 3K and the accuracy is still there. 6 shots at 100 yards. Yes, I pulled one. The lower two are foulers from the .243:
IMAG0388.jpg

Here is the rifle with the new Z3... Scheels had it on clearance at a price I couldn't resist:
IMAG0386.jpg

Next was the .30-06, also a Featherweight, wearing a fixed power Leupold. This load consisted of 59.0 grains H4350 propelling a 165 AB. I had tried it earlier with the 2-in-and-1-several-inches-out experience, so I cranked down the seating plug and gave it another whirl. The top two holes are fouler/scope adjustment; the bottom three are the group. Average of 2860 FPS.
IMAG0394.jpg

For a 54-year-old rifle, and a cartridge which is nearly twice that, they still deliver.
IMAG0390.jpg
IMAG0391.jpg

My range:
IMAG0392.jpg

Way better than shopping. :) Hope everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Now thats the way to blow a little snow around at the range. That H-4350 extreme powder is darn good stuff.Losing only 30 fps is darn good. Those 130 PT,s are rocking man. Your 06 is talking too. Good job on all three guns.

Looks as if all your rifles are up to about any task you give them. Good job. Some excellent glass, to be sure.

Nice, what was your final OAL for the 165 ABs? I'm having the same problem with 2 in 1 out with my 30-06.

truck driver":2nbh985j said:
what was your final OAL for the 165 ABs?
Well below spec, 3.305 inches. I shot 3.315, this, and 3.295. The 3.315" did the usual 2+1, and the 3.295" started stringing. I suspect somewhere in that 3.300-3.302 is the true sweet spot, but this is minute-of-whitetail...

nvbroncrider":2nbh985j said:
How do you like that Z3?
For range work, fine! :) Seriously, I haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet, but from the informal nighttime testing I've done it's right there with the Diavari and I give it an edge over my Conquest HD5, which actually cost more. Seems like all the optical quality of the Z5/Z6 but at half the magnification range, it's also only half the price. Purely in terms of glass per dollar, the Z3 has to be one of the best deals out there. And at 12 ounces, it is perfect for a Featherweight rifle.

Thanks for the encouragement men. Just one of those days yesterday. The wind was not horrible, the CE Pro Chrono was flawless, and the rifles and loads came together. Admittedly, range sessions don't always go like this, but it is gratifying when they do.

WHOA! That is the way to run them Winchester's buddy! That little 243 is beautiful buddy! Just a great looking package!

270 is shooting real good, but oh man, that 30-06 looks REAL nice. What a trio of great rifles. Thanks for sharing them pictures. That is motivating!

Back