Scope Mounts

hardpan

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Hopefully, someone out there has an answer for this. i am thinking about moving to super high scope mounts bringing my scope center to around 2 inches above the barrel. Reason is simple, my bullet starts lower, and the result is a flatter looking trajectory because it has that extra 1/2" My question is will the extra height in the rings give me any mechanical error due to whip or movement? The difference is not that great, but still I wonder?
thanks,
Hardpan.

Rather than using high rings and loosing your cheek weld shim the bases or find some offset rings.

hardpan":2kl35f82 said:
Hopefully, someone out there has an answer for this. i am thinking about moving to super high scope mounts bringing my scope center to around 2 inches above the barrel. Reason is simple, my bullet starts lower, and the result is a flatter looking trajectory because it has that extra 1/2" My question is will the extra height in the rings give me any mechanical error due to whip or movement? The difference is not that great, but still I wonder?
thanks,
Hardpan.

You losted me, your trajectory will be the same no change at all, but your line of sight will be 1/2" higher. Keep your cheek on the stock where it is suppost to be by design. If you don't need high mounts for scope clearance your doing what???? :?:

All,
So I went with the lowest mount in terms of scope clearance, but I am not sure why it matters so much. My rifle is comfortable with the higher mounts as well, so that doesn't matter much.

For those questioning the idea.
Scope at 2.0 inches high. Velocity is around 3080.
at 100 yds, 3 inches high, , 200 yds 3.8 high, 300 yds flat, 400 yds 9 low
Scope at 1.5 inches high
at 100 3.3" high, 200 is 4" high, flat at 300 yds, 9.15 down at 400

The concern is the 150 to 200 yd shot, I am just under 4 inches with the high scope and over 4.25 with the lower one. so, holding dead center on a 9 inch kill diameter that extra 1/4 - 1/2 inch may make a difference.

Not a lot, but i am trying to maximize the rifle's effectiveness for the hunters that I guide. Most cannot shoot a 1 inch group, and it really sucks to have one miss high...
thanks,
Hardpan

Forgot to add,
Some of my hunters perfer a muzzle break, and with the slower speed, the problem is exarbated. but, the decision is made, I went with lowest possible mount as per the advice here.

thanks again,
Hardpan

Here's a link to a brief discussion on scope cant -

http://www.charliedatuna.com/airgun_docs/The Effect of Scope Cant.doc

It's about an air rifle, but the principle is the same. IMO, if you have higher than necessary rings, you may have a worse problem with scope cant errors.

Another source described a 6° cant could cause an additional 3.5" drop at 450 yds.

So, if you have the scope so high that it interferes with a proper and consistent cheek weld, and this results in cant problems, you are looking at some larger POI / POA errors.

Just sight in for 2 to 3" at 100 yards and if its 12" at 400 yards instead of 9" that OK just aim 3" higher.

The other concern is if you have clients that cant shoot 1" groups at 100 yards you should not have them taking 400 yards shots keep all shots to 300 may be even 200 yards or less. I for one would not want to shoot any rifle that I am not very familar with at more than say 250 yards.

A good thing is to take advantage of the scope article. Just say the top of the post is -16". Now if siighted in for 2" at 100 yards and just say its zero is 250 yards and its -5 at 300 yards and -16 at 400 yards. Well this is how I would do it. This trajectory is just made up but you get the idea.

Back