Scope for Model 70 Featherweight?

desertcj

Handloader
Sep 27, 2010
I have one on the way in 7mm-08. I don't have a ton of cash to drop on glass. Any ideas? I was looking at the Weaver v10 (2-10x38), 11oz! It's about $200. Also considering the Burris droptine 3-9x50, 17oz about the same price. They are two really different scopes. I'm leaning towards the Weaver, but I'm looking for suggestions. Oh ya, I'm going with DNZ hunt master rings/bases.

Lots a people like Vortex optics for that price range. I don't have any yet but, what I hear from others is positive.... Leupolds have a smaller ocular eyepiece so they work better on my Mauser. What I have opted for is a used VX-2 (or -II). @ $200.00 I send them to Leupold for a clean bill of health before I even mount them. Confidence worth the $20.00 IMHO. CL

VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm would be just about perfect.

JD338

cloverleaf":3oou9yux said:
Lots a people like Vortex optics for that price range. I don't have any yet but, what I hear from others is positive.... Leupolds have a smaller ocular eyepiece so they work better on my Mauser. What I have opted for is a used VX-2 (or -II). @ $200.00 I send them to Leupold for a clean bill of health before I even mount them. Confidence worth the $20.00 IMHO. CL
Yup. Good scopes from Vortex. A buddy just put one on his S2 Vanguard 30-06 Springfield.

I can't spend enough right now for a mid-level Leopold. I don't think that the bottom of the line Leopolds are as good as others in the same price range? I am still going back and forth, but I found a Burris E1 3-9x50 for a good price....

VX2 3x9 gets a lot of great reviews as well. Pretty decent scopes for the money.

I went compact...will be swapping the 1-4 out for a 1.5-5 VX3i soon.

24415499212_45e9e651b9_b.jpg

On a featherweight, I'd want lighter glass that fits the proportions of the gun. On mine I originally had a 1.5-6 Burris signature, then a 2-7 Leupold, and now it has a 3-9x40 Nikon. As I've gotten older I've found the extra magnification is helpful. But I wouldn't want a 50mm objective scope on that gun. But that's just me.

The Weaver sounds like a good option to me, but I have no experience with them. At the $200 price point, which is usually about what I'll spend on a scope, I like the Nikons, Leupolds, and Redfields. I recently had to have warranty work on my old 2-7 Leupold and couldn't be happier with how they handled it. A $200 scope is always going to be a compromise, but I think the current bargain glass is pretty good. The trickle down effect in technology in both glass and coatings has really helped the lower to mid level scopes. The optics on my new Leupold built Redfield are much better than the two Leupold VX2's I have from 15 and 20 years ago.

6mm Remington":31xfqh2f said:
Simple...............pick up a Leupold 6x36 VXII fixed power scope.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... ii-6x36mm/

Nice and light and trim, great glass and rugged as all get-out! I've NEVER felt handicapped with a fixed power scope and I also have never felt that I had too much power for close up stuff with a 6x scope. It just works and works very well!!

^^^^This.

I love fixed power scopes and a trim 4x or 6x on that rifle would be the ticket.

I agree with David and Hodgeman, great suggestion David.

Leupold is still well represented up this way and from what I hear from Tom, also in Pennsylvania USA lol

Leopoldo also makes the Rifleman and VX-1 scopes there less money and still decent optics to get you started until you can upgrade to better optics.

Nikon also has a scope in your price range with good optics.

hodgeman":2nxqsf0p said:
6mm Remington":2nxqsf0p said:
Simple...............pick up a Leupold 6x36 VXII fixed power scope.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... ii-6x36mm/

Nice and light and trim, great glass and rugged as all get-out! I've NEVER felt handicapped with a fixed power scope and I also have never felt that I had too much power for close up stuff with a 6x scope. It just works and works very well!!

^^^^This.

I love fixed power scopes and a trim 4x or 6x on that rifle would be the ticket.

Perfect idea. Love those 6X's!! Can't beat em

I was originally going to put a Weaver K4 on it. Kinda rough working up loads with only 4x magnification though...

desertcj":1kdxpzu0 said:
I was originally going to put a Weaver K4 on it. Kinda rough working up loads with only 4x magnification though...

The target means much more than the magnification. I've worked up plenty of loads with the Leupold M8 4X. Give it a shot, you might have all you need right there.

Agree...if you have the right target, you don't need a ton of magnification.

SJB358":vsp54jrw said:
desertcj":vsp54jrw said:

The target means much more than the magnification. I've worked up plenty of loads with the Leupold M8 4X. Give it a shot, you might have all you need right there.

Agree with the above quotes.

Completely forgot that my featherweight started out with a $30 Bushnell 4x, because that's all I could afford after buying the gun. The range we used had targets that had squares instead of circles. I got used to putting my crosshairs on the lower left corner of any square. Now I can't shoot any other way. I always felt the square target helped me be more precise with a low power scope.

Back