Scales

velvetant

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Well crap...My Acculab 123 died today after a very long career.
Need a new scale.
GemPro 250 seems to get good reviews and has a lifetime warranty.
A tuned beam scale by Scott Parker would also be nice and would last forever.
But I've been with an electronic scale for so long I don't think I want to go back to beam.
Would love to have a magnetic force restoration scale but way out of my range.
Probably end up with a Gempro....

Sorry to here your scale died. I've only used a beam scale and can't help you with the electronic scales on the market but my RCBS 10-10-10 has been very accurate over the years and never failed me.

The older RCBS/Ohaus scales are awesome, But RCBS decided to have them made in Mexico now and are total crap.
If I could find an older Ohaus model I would get one

The GemPro is a fine scale that will meet the needs of most hand loaders.

from what I've read , Scott Parker usually has tuned scales for sale . I remember him saying the Mexico 10-10's are crap and there is nothing he can do with them . I bought a A&D FX120I scale I'd guess 2 years ago . I think I paid around $400 us for it . I really like the scale . I just looked up where I bought mine .

I linked to the wrong scale . see the link in 257 ackleys post below .

here is a thread ,that a lot of guys bought them from . there is a youtube video link in one post showing scale differences .
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... =3821471.0

velvetant":36jlmmbc said:
The older RCBS/Ohaus scales are awesome, But RCBS decided to have them made in Mexico now and are total crap.
Mines not for sale. :mrgreen:

truck driver":zost92a3 said:
velvetant":zost92a3 said:
Mines not for sale. :mrgreen:
Well darn.... everyone that has the Ohaus knows what they got (y) (y) and are not parting with it..

I've got an older 10-10. Great scale but I haven't used it since I went with the electronic dispensing unit.

I have a old Lyman slide scale but since I purchased my Chargemaster it has been flawless 8)!

Blessings,
Dan

I do have a new Dillon beam scale still in the box I got in a deal when I bought a press from a fellow. I would part with.

velvetant":yydbjh9b said:
I have an old Ohaus scale I may part with. I have not touched it since I started using my RCBS chargemaster in 2007. I will post a picture later. Lee

wvchevy3":2w3twndj said:
velvetant":2w3twndj said:
I have an old Ohaus scale I may part with. I have not touched it since I started using my RCBS chargemaster in 2007. I will post a picture later. Lee
If you do decide to sell it please send me a PM, I'm interested.
Randy

Here it is. Its an ohaus 505 made in New Jersey before RCBS. I don't know how old it is but its in great shape. The cover has a small crack on the front right. I not trying to sell it ,but if someone wants or needs it I will. PM me ,I don't know what its worth .Lee

Attachments

• Ohaus 505.jpg
    Ohaus 505.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,694
  • ohaus 505 1.jpg
    ohaus 505 1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,694
  • ohaus 505 2.jpg
    ohaus 505 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,694
jimbires said:
from what I've read , Scott Parker usually has tuned scales for sale . I remember him saying the Mexico 10-10's are crap and there is nothing he can do with them . I bought a A&D FX120I scale I'd guess 2 years ago . I think I paid around $400 us for it . I really like the scale . I just looked up where I bought mine . todays price is about $860 us, that's a lot of money .

The A&D (AND) 120i scale is the best I have found for the money without spending $1500 plus to get to .001 of a grain. Several of the guys I shoot with bought the Gempro 250 and have said that they wish they had spent the extra money for the AND. Their biggest problem has been drift and needing to reset zero. The 120i will measure to .01 of a grain. My SD and ES have really shrunk since this purchase. I use a RCBS scale/dispenser to get within a couple 10ths of a grain and than transfer to the A&D scale. It is amazing the variance in weight from one dispensing to the next with the RCBS.

Here is a link to the 120i from Cambridge, which is still the best price I have found for it.
http://cambridgeenviro.com/productDetai ... lance-5110

257 Ackley":2az7rbah said:
jimbires":2az7rbah said:
from what I've read , Scott Parker usually has tuned scales for sale . I remember him saying the Mexico 10-10's are crap and there is nothing he can do with them . I bought a A&D FX120I scale I'd guess 2 years ago . I think I paid around $400 us for it . I really like the scale . I just looked up where I bought mine . todays price is about $860 us, that's a lot of money .

The A&D (AND) 120i scale is the best I have found for the money without spending $1500 plus to get to .001 of a grain. Several of the guys I shoot with bought the Gempro 250 and have said that they wish they had spent the extra money for the AND. Their biggest problem has been drift and needing to reset zero. The 120i will measure to .01 of a grain. My SD and ES have really shrunk since this purchase. I use a RCBS scale/dispenser to get within a couple 10ths of a grain and than transfer to the A&D scale. It is amazing the variance in weight from one dispensing to the next with the RCBS.

Here is a link to the 120i from Cambridge, which is still the best price I have found for it.
http://cambridgeenviro.com/productDetai ... lance-5110

in my post above I put in the wrong link , I just removed it . . I put a link to the AnD fx200I that was way higher in price . the price you posted on the FX120I is still not out of reach for a good scale . I also bought mine from Cambridge .
I'm super happy with my FX120I . I just use a lee powder spoon for the bulk of my powder , and then trickle up to my desired weight . I have seen better chrony reading since I bought this scale .

I've been using an Ohaus 5-0-5 for longer than I can remember. I've found no reason to change.
I have considered a newer electronic scale and after weighing all the factors I decided I didn't want one.
Mine is out in the shop in it's original cardboard box. This is a photo of the same scale I found for illustration. This scale dates to at least 1975 I think. As this is the second one of these I've bought I'm a little confused as to the time line.

Attachments

• 505 (1024x662).jpg
    505 (1024x662).jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 1,602
I got my scale Monday, I went with a My Weigh IBalance I101 on recommendation from a friend that's a 1000 yard competitive shooter.
Let it warm up to room temp and played with it for a little bit.
Very nice scale. No drift, very fast response time.
Most of my loading equipment is packed up for the move back to Nevada so I won't be able to give it a real work out for awhile but so far I really like what I see.

Back