Rl17 vs rl19

Firebird

Handloader
Jun 22, 2013
Just recently I found some rl19 and bought a couple pounds. I wanted to try it with my 7mm08 and the ablr in 150 gr. I have a load worked up with rl17 for that load moving at 2811 fps and had thought rl19 might bump that a bit faster. I was able to load the bullet to max specs and still sub moa with 19 and thought I found "the one." Until I shot it through the chrono. I was so disappointed I went home loaded more with 19 and brought some with 17 to compare. Side by side I measured them -rl 17 2811 and rl 19 2678 fps. I thought this interesting although somewhat understandable after I researched the powders on the alliant website.
I still want to try "hunter" powder but haven't got any currently, but thought the alliant powders were interesting to play with.

Different deterrents; hence, different burn rates. The big thrust for RL17 was the increased velocity due to the differing deterrents. You can obtain similar velocities, but it will require more of the slower powder to gain those velocities.

Re19 USED to be a good powder for the 708.
Re17 is like ice cream and apple pie for the 708!
It really is a wonderful combo of speed, controlled pressure, and case capacity match....if your gun likes it!
All that said...as ez as the ablr opens at long range....and holds velocity....there maybe absolutely no reason not to like a load near 2700fps.

Hi,

I jumped to RL17 and dropped the RL15 pet loads.

Constant velocity and an increase across the board.

I'm hooked on RL17 and in the 284 WIN, it really shines.

Regards,

RL17 is really good in my boys 7x57 with the 140 AB as well. 2900's and great accuracy. Can't get too much better.

I mainly load 140 grain bullets in my 7/08 but Big Game worked really well for me.
I just picked up some RL17 for my 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm thinking it will work quite well in that case.

I would give RL 17 a try if we could find some here, Alliant powders are non existent right now. Should work well in our 260, 6.5x55 and the 35 Whelen with heavy bullets. If the 264 WM would ever sell it would probably work great in the 270 Win I'm wanting to buy.....

gerry give me a list of what you are looking for in the Alliant powders and I will check the stores I have a connection or 2 in around these parts :).

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, I would try RL 17 if it shows up here and maybe some RL 22 although I have 2 lbs of that still.

I look at these posts extolling the qualities of Re17 wistfully...I had an experience with it that makes my hair stand on end to this day. I think it was in .243, but it may have been something else...I just can't recall. I suppose I may have made a mistake, but I can't shake it. When I see "Re17" written anywhere I have an almost visceral reaction that reminds me of how I felt when I was a four years old and I was sure there was something hiding under my bed at night.

Maybe I need a little reloading therapy.

I was a user of IMR 4350 & RL 19 in my .30-06 for more than a few years when I first read about RL 17. Alliant advertised up to 150fps with the 150gr bullet and it lived up to that speed when I clocked some of them in my first loadings. In all bullet weights in the .30-06 it will exceed all speeds of other powders. I also found out that it is just as accurate as the two mentioned powders above. It is now my go to powder in my .30-06s now.

Happy shooting
Ryan46

Double D: what is your RL-17 load for the 280 Rem? I recently saw that Win 780 is out of production so I need a new powder for my 168gn Match Kings in my 280.

Back