Rifles in the field this hunting season

Horsethief

Handloader
Jul 5, 2012
What rifle(s) are you taking to the field this year?
Deer seasons
1) Muzzle loader: .50cal Hawken
2) Regular firearms: 300 Wby Mag
3) Antlerless only: 257 Wby Mag
and yes, there will be a back-up rifle in the pickup.

If the 9.3X64 is finished in time, it will accompany me at one point, either for moose or for elk. Undoubtedly, the 338 Federal will accompany me at some point. I hope to have new dies so I can load for the 280 Ross for deer this fall. If not, there are a variety of rifles that could accompany me (260 Rem, 257 Roberts, 280 Rem, etc.). There are a couple of new .307 Winchesters that still need to be blooded, and they may yet get the nod. We'll see. Whatever accompanies me, my Browning T-Bolt will be along for grouse throughout the season.

It will depend somewhat on which rifles impress me the most. I have a couple i just finished building but haven't shot much due to the heat and a newborn (338 Edge and .284). I also have a 6.5-300wm and 7-300wm in the works. I doubt I'll have my Stiller TAC338 actions in time to build my .375-338 Lapua Imp and .30-338 Lapua Imp. Before hunting season starts. If all else fails my .30-8mm will go.

Greg,

I haven't even begun to load for the 338 Federal. To this point, I've been shooting factory rounds that I had picked up quite a while back. The Federal Fusion 200 grain is shooting best at this point. I'll likely focus on bullet weights between 180 and 210 grains for this rifle.

Mike I'll start with the 200 A/B because I have them. I've heard great things about the accuracy of the 185 gr TSX. and the 180 A/B. I'm getting anxious to start loading and preparing for October.

The 180 BT's are certainly accurate in my .338 Federal but they are essentially a .30-06. That is why I shoot the 210 Partitions at 2570 fps. The 210's take the .338 Federal into a whole new classification from the .30-06, 180 grains.

Good point Oldtrader3. Why turn a 338 into a 30 cal copy? OK 200 A/B and I gotta try some 225gr bullets just because.
Greg

As the 7STW is not a rifle yet .... I'll take the SS .257Bee Vanguard stuffed with 110 gr. ABs and a case full of H1000. It clocks @ 3400+, which is ok for Wyoming mulies. Shots are expected to be in the 250-350 yard distances. The rancher says there are 4 or 5 mature bucks there right now. Of course, come huntin' season, .... well you know how that goes !!!!!!!!

Jim

Horsethief

Good topic!

Tomorrow I am taking the M700 LSS 338 RUM loaded up with the 300 gr AB and shooting steel at 600 and 800 yds.
Then we are going to fill some crop damage deer tags. After the 338 300 gr AB scores, I am going to give my M700 VLS 22-250 ;oaded with the 64 gr BSB a try.
Mid Sept will be our early doe season, taking my daughter out with the M700 Classic 257 Roberts loaded with 110 gr AB's.
End of Sept, I will be Antelope hunting with my custom 280 AI loaded with a 140 gr BT.
Nov is the MI WT deer season, I will be in my blind with my 1895 45-70 loaded with the 300 gr BST.
Dec Muzzle Loader season I use a T/C Omega loaded with the .458 cal 300 gr BST
Dec Late doe season I will be hunting with my S&W 629 Classic loaded with the Nosler 300 gr JHP.

JD338

Right now the only thing I'm likely to use this fall for big game is my 35 Whelen which will be finished soon it will hunt mountain goats, moose and black bears. My 28 gauge and 22 lr will see some grouse hunting and maybe my old 12 gauge will see some ducks and geese. It is possible the 375 Ruger will make it out just because for moose or blackies.

I do not hunt deer much anymore because my wife much prefers elk, moose or caribou to deer meat. As a result, my hunting for big game starts with the .30-06 and advances through the .338 Federal and .340 Weatherby which happen to be my larger game calibers.

For deer hunting, I use the .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester or 7mm Rem Mag depending on terrain and species of deer.

Bear - the .375 H&H Number One w/260 gr AccuBond

Elk - not sure I'm getting out for elk - time constraints, if so the .375 again, or maybe the .300

Whitetail - probably the good ol' .25-06 w/115 Noslers

Mule Deer & Pronghorn - Probably the .25-06 w/115 Noslers unless I decide to take that .300 WSM Model 70 to Wyoming...

I will bet that any one of 50 of you could answer this for me!!! I have pondered long and hard over this question, agnonized for hours, but after much careful evaluation and self analysis. It will be (drum roll in the background), I know it's going to be a surprise, the --------------------300 WM. Perfection is hard to beat. Good luck to you all..May the sun shine on your back, and your tags be filled!

Well let's see I think I am going to take out my 270win & maybe one other rifle :shock:
Yes believe it or not I am looking at taking out my 35 Whelen.

Blessings,
Dan

Wyoming antelope I will be taking my custom 264WM with 140gr accubonds, and my custom 6mm for back-up with whatever I decide on for bullets. I have a good 100gr Sierra Gameking load for the 6mm but need to play with the 90gr accubonds I finally got the other day. My fiance will shoot either my 6mm or the 243 I traded for recently. It is shooting 3/4" with the 100gr Federal softpoints that came with it, so I'm curious to see what it will do with handloads. My fiance loves the 6mm target shooting but struggles a little finding a moving target quickly in the 6.5-20 scope. It will be her choice. I gave her a brick of 22 shells to shoot through my 10-22 from the rapid pivot bipod so she can be practiced up by season.

Whitetail I'll use the Remington 700ML for blackpowder season, still haven't got an upgrade bought, if I get time to hunt then. If not it will be the 264WM for rifle season with the 140gr accubonds.

Whitetail antlerless I may break in the new Ruger American 270 or may just stick with the 6mm. Maybe both if I feel that the herd needs 2 removed.

After that it will be the 6mm with 70gr BT's for yotes under tough conditions, which is most of the time for me. I'll use my custom 204 Ruger with 45gr Hornady SP bullets for calling where cats may be involved or when I feel like it. In tight quarters my Remington 7615 with the low power scope will be used calling and my partner will have the 870. The Ruger M77 243 and 270 will also get some use as beaters in the ranch trucks without overhead racks. It's nice to have several options for yotes so I'm not constantly moving guns around, and so if I suspect a scope may have been knocked off I can switch rifles until I have time to shoot paper.

Ruger M77 22 magnum with the CCI Maxi-mag +V bullets it loves on pests and varmints around the ranch. 10-22 or Marlin 60 for practice shooting and small game I don't want exploded like my magnum seems to enjoy doing.

Well my hunting this year has been relagated to a buck and a doe tag no draws, so pretty much anything outta the safe will work. My truck gun , vangard 243 win is always with me and prints 100 gr pt's about 3" low at 100 as compared to my varmit load but would suffice in a pinch. My ol man bought the 6mm remmy for my newborn, it may need to draw blood, the 7 mm is always ready , the 300 win hasn't drawn blood except a coyote. I would like to wack something with it. So my dad never got drawn either but always the optimist says, " I guess we will really have to give them geese hell" . Hahaha so more waterfowl is definitley in the works.
I think I am being delagated to chief scout for a few guys too, My nephew and Bil both have cow moose draws, one buddy has a muley draw, and my other buddy has moose and muley both up north though.
It'll be fun i am sure.

Well, I will be toting the 35 Whelen

9917644801105.jpg

Or the 300WSM

IPHONEPICS342.jpg

Looking for one of these.

9521744801105.jpg

3244291801105.jpg

For deer it'll be the 264WM for long shots

AB0E7670.jpg

For the timber, it'll be the Guide Rifle again..

15C143F3.jpg

Back