Rifle Stock Question

TenMileHunter

Beginner
Jan 25, 2017
Which stock do you prefer? Wood or Synthetic?
I have a newer model Remington 700 with a synthetic Remington stock that I'm thinking of replacing. Not sure I want to go wood or something like a B&C or Magpul.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It still remains that synthetic stocks are the most stable. In some environments, wood can be problematic. Certainly, wood can warp more easily than other stocks. In a wet environment, wood may not be a good choice for this reason. Synthetic stocks can be customized easily by techniques that add colour to the rifle. Having said all that, and though living in an environment that is reasonably harsh on wood stocks, I prefer wood. However, my preference is more aesthetic than it is practical. I like the looks and choose it normally. Alternatively, I have a couple of rifles that have laminate stocks. When setting up rifles for my grandchildren, I choose synthetic. When selling rifles to people, I almost always encourage them to consider synthetic. Myself? I'll likely continue to favour wood. But, then, that is just me.

If you should go with Synthetic B&C has a great selection for the M700. I like wood but for a stable platform I agree with DrMike that the synthetics are better.
I just picked up this instead of the same model with beautiful figure in the wood stock.
Yep I'm getting more practical in my old age. :grin:

Attachments

• pix865884580.jpg
    pix865884580.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,642
My main two rifles have synthetic stocks as I do use my rifles in all conditions. If I just used them in fair weather I would still go with wood as I enjoy the authentic look :wink:.
The 2 stocks on my custom rifles are a McMillan Hunter which is aluminum bedded and the other stock is a Manners and the bedding is a titanium rail.
The Manners stock is very light but really does absorb the recoil well for being so light. I have a couple of friends that are using the HS Precision stock and they speak very highly of them as well.
The photo is my 280AI with the Manners Stock (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0054.PNG
    IMG_0054.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,630
Then there is also Hogue on the less expensive side like the B&C for about $250 less but still a good option on a hunting rifle.

I like both types...out here, I lean toward synthetics in early season because of rain/snow mix. Later in the year ( when I really like cow elk hunts) wood stocks feel "warmer" to my old gnarly hands! :)

I have both and use both about the same. I tend to not have to worry too much about the kevlar/synthetic stocks while I am hunting but my wood stocks are pretty well sealed too..

I'm like Dr Mike. I really like the beautiful glossy walnuts. I'd consider having a stock made if I liked the gun but not the stock.

That said, I just ordered a Winchester model 70 extreme weather rifle... go check out that stocks description. It's not injected. It's s mix of composite plus glass plus aluminum. I'm looking forward to it.

Pick what you like and take care of it, you can always repair/ replace a stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The B&C Medalist stocks are hard to beat at their price point. I'm very happy with mine on my M70 featherweight. I think it looks good, and made the gun a much more comfortable and consistent shooter. Probably not as pretty as the original featherweight walnut stock, but the gun is now rock solid shooter and consistently shoots it's favorite AccuBond load between .5-.75". Before the BC stock, this gun struggled to break 1-1.25" groups. B&C has other models for the 700 that are pillar bedded and lighter than the Medalist w/ its full bedding block.

sask boy":36pb3okx said:
My main two rifles have synthetic stocks as I do use my rifles in all conditions. If I just used them in fair weather I would still go with wood as I enjoy the authentic look :wink:.
The 2 stocks on my custom rifles are a McMillan Hunter which is aluminum bedded and the other stock is a Manners and the bedding is a titanium rail.
The Manners stock is very light but really does absorb the recoil well for being so light. I have a couple of friends that are using the HS Precision stock and they speak very highly of them as well.
The photo is my 280AI with the Manners Stock (y)

Blessings,
Dan
Nice looking rifle Dan but they put the bolt on the wrong side. That has to be hard trying to work that bolt like that. :grin:

While I appreciate the warmth of beautifully grained wood stocks and the stability of synthetic stocks, I have more rifles with laminated stocks for the benefits of both of the other two. They are heavier, but look great and are very stable.

I have several wood stocked rifles and only two firearms with synthetic stocks; a Benelli M2 semi-auto shotgun and my custom Remington 700 in 280 that wears the LSS stock, but has the original XCR stock for poor weather hunts.

Manners , it's so hard not to beat a Manners stock or McMillan. I love the Manners Elite Hunter line

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

With my USMC background, I'm highly impressed with the rugged durability of a McMillan fiberglass stock. As I recall, McMillan claims that the Corps NEVER returned a stock... No damage from Marines? Something that's Marine Proof? Awesome!

I also have one rifle in a Bell & Carlson stock, which works GREAT. And I've used the HS Precision synthetic stocks with complete satisfaction.

Not all synthetic stocks are created equal. There's a reason some are several times the price of others...

That said, I prefer wood when possible. Even on a rifle that may be used in foul weather.

And don't for get laminated wood - it's pretty much impervious to the elements, yet to me, it still has much of the warmth of a wood stock.

Regards, Guy

I have converted all of my serious hunting rifles to composite. I have McMillian, Chet Brown, Bell and Carlson, and others of lessor quality. I would never go back to wood. My primary hunter with a Chet Brown has probably required less than 1/2 inch MOA of adjustment in 40+ years. I believe that, had more to do with my eyes or hand loads than changes in the bedding.

I prefer a wood stock.I like the old,classic style stocked rifles.

Do have synthetic stock and laminated stocks,but the wood stocks make my heart skip a beat. ;)

This. I don't shoot enough nor am I accurate enough to make synthetics a necessity. However, I enjoy applying a coat of stock wax on a winter day.

Or this but its still a hunk of plywood

but still better than this:

All of my rifles have wood stocks. Each one of those stocks has been glass bedded and my new .280 AI I had built was pillar and glass bedded with the barrel floated. I am confident that it will hold zero and not walk. I really like the laminates such as the Boyds we put on my son's 6mm Remington. It was glass & pillar bedded and the barrel floated. It's super strong and it still feels like wood not to mention that it's a beautiful stock.

I appreciate the synthetics and really like the B&C stock on my son's Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. I'll probably have a rifle one of these days that has a synthetic, but I still prefer the wood stock.

David

I like both love the look and warmth of wood. I also love my HS Perecision for is all weather abilities with Cerkote on the Metal. I think one needs both.

I think I am just out and out contrary.

I love a nice walnut stock, but I hate for them to get beat up. I have several Model 70 Classics that have virtually perfect walnut stocks. One of them is a 1-in-500 Super Grade Midway edition in .280 Remington, and I REALLY didn't want that one dinged up...so I shopped around for B&C Medalists for each of them. Now the walnut stocks are stored safely and I can hunt these rifles without trepidation...but unfortunately I have found that these rifles' personalities have changed a bit. The .280 has a bit more noticeable recoil, and the .30-06 has gotten downright nasty shooting off the rest. I'm sure it won't matter much when hunting though.

And then there's my .35 Whelen. It came to me in a Hogue overmolded that did not fit it quite right (barrel channel issues). Soon after I got the rifle, built on a VZ24 action, I found a Fajen synthetic for it and it has been satisfactory. Somehow I always wanted a walnut stock for it. I found one cheap from Stocky's at a bargain price, but it is in much worse condition than I expected based on the description (I won't ever buy another thing from them---every purchase has been disappointing or worse---FAR worse!). I suppose I'll work it over and put it on the rifle, but I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing this. I guess I can justify it because I don't anticipate hunting the Whelen very much, but I still wonder at myself.

I guess the bottom line is that I love nice walnut and blued steel but I hate beating them up. To me a rifle is so much more than just the way it shoots.

Back