Removing Military Primer Crimp

m1aggie01

Beginner
Sep 9, 2007
Howdy folks,

As I move further along in my quest to start reloading, I am preparing my "wish list" at MidwayUSA and a light bulb went off!!! Yeah I actually get those sometime!!!

Anyway, I will be using once-fired LC 30.06 brass and remembered that the primer crimp had to be removed.

My stupid questions: What is this and what tool/technique will best get rid of it? I plan on purchasing a Lyman Universal Trimmer...will this have a tool I can use or is there an accessory I can get for it that will help remove the crimp?

TIA...again.

Personally, I use the RCBS Tim Mate Case Prep Center. It comes with 5 rotery blocks, and I usually have set up to knock out the military crimp, large and small primer pocket brushes, chamfering and deburring tools. They also make an attachment to deburr the flash hole which is next on my list. Just make sure you hook it up to a 20 amp braker. Mine breaks the 15 amp breakers every time.

Rcbs makes a primer pocket swagger die that swaggs small and large primer pockets.
You have to set it up on your press like a die. There is a base that goes into the shell holder slot. The base has a "nipple" on it and as you raise the ram into the die the "nipple" swaggs the brass.
I do like the sound of antelope_snipers trim mate prep center.

Antelope_Sniper":335wbspu said:
Personally, I use the RCBS Tim Mate Case Prep Center. It comes with 5 rotery blocks, and I usually have set up to knock out the military crimp, large and small primer pocket brushes, chamfering and deburring tools. They also make an attachment to deburr the flash hole which is next on my list. Just make sure you hook it up to a 20 amp braker. Mine breaks the 15 amp breakers every time.

Nice set up. Makes case prep a snap.

JD338

A buddy of mine bought it for me. We reload together a lot, an he offered to contribute a Dillion progressive, instead I convinced him to get the Trim Mate. I'm happy for it. I get way more use out of it then I would a progressive press.

Back