Remington SPS Tactical

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I've got a Rem SPS Tactical that I got for coyotes etc...But the Hogue stock has much to be desired.

I've been thinking of replacing it and wondered what you guys thought. I am not sure I want to put the money into a Micky stock. but don't want a heavy stock when the gun already has a hvy 20" barrel.

Long

Check stocky's for some options. The Bell & Carlson 2958 or Tact Medalist #4 might be along what your looking for. H S might be another. They have a few for the SPS. They are not the lightest, but would work without spending bigger bucks. I had an SPS and replaced the stock after shooting it with a bipod on the forend. The stock flexed and caused the shots to move around. It shot very well off the bench though.

Long, I went the tactical route and the B&C, not too worried about the weight. I would do it differently if I was going to hunt with it, but its good. I bought it as a beater but the darn thing shot so well, I worked it up. Most of the people who have the SPS 20" tactical say they shoot, they just change the stock out. The front of the stock does not flex now, which is the issue with the Houge stocks and needs to be addressed. Go with the full length bedding block if thats what your looking for and you'll be good. This is with the stock change.

Attachments

• IMG_0198 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_0198 [800x600].jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 706
I also have the 700 Tactical and the Hogue stock had to go. I put mine in an HS Precision and it made a huge improvement. This gun is a shooter, especially with 53 grain V-Max and 69 Sierras. Just added a EGW tactical bolt knob to it just to give it a more tactical look and it turned out great.

Long -

Mine's not a tactical, but I also put an HS Precision on my .223. Rock solid.

The thing is, you're probably going to want a stock with at least a little bit of mass to it, to balance out the heavy barrel.

I've got a Mickey A3 just waiting for me to get a heavy barreled SA 700...

Back