Remington Failure to Feed - Bolt Override

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
I have recently begun to have issues with my Remington 700 in 308 win. The bolt rides over the last round in the magazine. The magazine box was bedded with the action and the rifle has about 1500 rounds on it. I was thinking that it was because the magazine spring is getting weak. What do you all think?

Could be the spring is weak it could also mean the magazine box is in crooked. Had the latter myself when I put my 264 WM into a cheap SPS stock.

gerry":22obh7nx said:
Could be the spring is weak it could also mean the magazine box is in crooked. Had the latter myself when I put my 264 WM into a cheap SPS stock.

+1 In fact, misalignment is fairly common, and easily remedied.

I should also mention it was easily taken care of with just a bit more care putting it together again. Hope that's all it is since that is an easy fix.

We were typing at the same time, it was side to side in my case. I somehow had it shifted a bit sideways.

I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't correct the problem I'll replace the magazine spring.

Thanks.

Yup. You can check the spring by stretching it waaaay out, then replacing it and running a few dummy cartridges through the action.

If they feed fine, it was the spring, and it needs to be replaced with a new one.

Guy

I have had the same issue with my Winchesters once the springs become a little worn, it'll pick up the first couple, as spring tension is still high, by the last one, it becomes hit or miss.. About as cheap as it gets to replace.

Back