Reloading the .270 Win

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
Never loaded for the .270 before. Was contemplating the 140 g AB but noticed that SPS has 150 g BTs.
What grain bullet/powder combo do you folks recommend?? Focusing on deer/antelope/black bear with this bullet/cartridge combo. I have other rifles for elk.

If the stated game is your limit, the 130 AB or Partition would be pretty serious medicine. I've knocked over some healthy whitetails with the AB and wouldn't be a bit bashful about using it for black bears. Currently, I have several boxes of PTs waiting to be worked up. For powders, Hodgdon 4831 and 4350 have worked well in my experiences.

Everyone has their own ideas, but I have had great results with 59.5grs of H 4831 SC, and a 130 gr Partition's and AccuBond's as well, without even moving the die. I get about 3010fps and about ¾ in at 100 yards. It will stop any mule deer in Colorado. I think it would be fine for bigger game with a well placed shot.

Easy! 140 AB's with 58 gr of h 4831 or RL22. Work up. Everything up to moose.

Loading for the 270 win for over 40years :wink:
130gr PT or 130 ABs over top of 54.5grs. Of IMR4350. (Work up to it).
I get sub 1"moa. And would not be afraid to use on any game here
In Saskatchewan.

Blessings,
Dan

Both the 140 AB and 150BT shoot well under moa for me using H-4831 or IMR-4831. I would think either would be excellent for the animals you mention. The accuracy of those two bullets make the choice easy for me. I have both and love em both.

IMR4831, IMR4064, and IMR4351 are the three powders I have used in 15 years of reloading for the .270win.

I have taken 2 mulies and 2 elk with a combo of IMR4350 ( 52g) and the 150 gr Partition Gold and all 4 animals never moved an inch after being hit.

The one whitetail I have taken with a 130 gr Partition over 49.5gr of IMR 4064 was a frontal shot at 20 yards and even though the deer dropped like a stone, the 130 gr Partition disintegrated in the upper organ cavity. I am sure the 20 yard/3000 fps combo had alot to do with that :grin:

I really can't wait for the 150gr AccuBond LR's to be available to test. I bet those will be the ticket.

That being said, for deer or antelope, the 130 Part or AccuBond should do the trick nicely. For bear I would opt for a 150 Partition, but that is just my opinion. I have zero experience with Bears.

It is a great round to reload for and very accurate as well.

In Jack O'cs book "The Hunting Rifle", he speaks on the .270 Win. cartridge saying,
"The .270 .. has sufficient killing powder for 95% of ALL game...".

I rest my case :lol: !

My choice, in my rifle, is the 140 AB with H4831 or RL-22. It shoots good for me with starting loads to max loads.

Since 1965, I have used the .270 Win, 130 gr Partition with 55.0 grs of IMR 4350 at about 3060 fps. I have killed over 100 deer with the combination and have never lost a deer while shooting this rifle. You may be able to get a few more fps than my old load but you won't kill deer any deader than this load does. I have had this bullet go through 4 feet of lengthwise pronghorn and the bullet was under the skin of the rump, perfectly mushroomed.

270 win is a nice caliber to reload. 130 gr PT or AB works great.
My load is 60.5 gr of H4831 sc with CCI B2 or G210 Federal primier.
Velocity 3050fps from 22.5 in barrel. Flat shooting, old shool and works.
Vodekz

Keep the loads coming I am going to need them soon, a 270 Win is next on the list to buy :) I have bought some 160 gr Partitions and have some 150 gr ABLR's and 150 gr Deep Curl's on order, I want to bust a moose in the worst way with those 160 gr PT's. I am going to get a gun that will be for both my wife and I to use once the gets her hunter training if she want's to hunt then we will see about getting another gun. Any ideas on some practice loads? I thought about running a 130 gr bullet with Varget, IMR 8208 or H 4895, the charges and speeds are a dead ringer for the 260 Rem which she has shot before and had no trouble with the recoil unless you have a better suggestion. A load like that would be great for a lot of hunting as is.

Jerry, I see you have mentioned some of the ABLRs are then any around your neck of the woods in the 284 cause I would like to try them in the 280AI that should be ready by July.
Jerry I have been shooting the 270win since I was 12 so that is a few past 45 years. I shoot 130 exclusively out of it and have shoot a number of Moose with it. For hunting I would stick with the 130 partitions or the ABS. but for plinking and getting used to the recoil the Hornady or the Speers are cheaper and shoot very well.
I have recently bought different powder but have use IMR4350 for last 40 years and have had really success with it.
But RL-22 & H4831-sc is also the answer for the 270win as well.

Blessings,
Dan

FOTIS":s2jo4vjs said:
Easy! 140 AB's with 58 gr of h 4831 or RL22. Work up. Everything up to moose.

My exact load. But the H4831 sc. WLR primers. I should try some of my RL22, but no reason to move away from 58.0 grns of H4831 SC.

Love that rifle!

Dan, I have the 150 gr ABLR's on order from Omineca Sports and their bullet prebuy sale (which ends Saturday at 5 pm) you might want to give them a call. I think for now I will use the 150-160 gr bullets since they are on order but plan on trying the 130's too. For full power loads I have H 4831 SC, H 4350, RL 22 and Magnum in my reloading room. Just need to decide LH Tikka T 3 (great for Maria), Rem 700 in a Mcmillan Edge (she likes how the my Whelen feels so a twin would be a good choice) or get my Sako rebarreled with a 1 in 9 twist Benchmark (will probably do this in the future or maybe even a 280). It will probably end up as a choice between the Tikka and Remington, I want her to try my sister in law's T 3 25-06 and see how it fits her.

Does your source have any estimate on when those new LRs are hitting Canada?

Blessings,
Dan

gerry":cbuaxy45 said:
Any ideas on some practice loads? I thought about running a 130 gr bullet with Varget, IMR 8208 or H 4895, the charges and speeds are a dead ringer for the 260 Rem which she has shot before and had no trouble with the recoil unless you have a better suggestion. A load like that would be great for a lot of hunting as is.

For a nice range load I have used 51.0gr of IMR-4350 and 56.0gr of H4831 with 130gr Sierra GameKings and BTs to keep velocity in the low 2800s. Low recoil for the range but still more than lethal enough for WTs.

sask boy":1ergbr7a said:
Does your source have any estimate on when those new LRs are hitting Canada?

Blessings,
Dan

They order direct from Nosler and sem to get new stuff pretty quick, so hopefully in March like everyone else. They are ordering a lot of the ABLR's, a lot of guys are really excited to be trying them.

CsC, those loads sound really good for my wife to try.

Back