Reloading plan and questions

+1 On the BT's I wouldn't be surprised to find that a 130 BT will be your most accurate bullet and an outstanding hunting load. The 100 Gr BT in ,25 cal is my hunting bullet, is just as accurate when backed down a couple grains, and cheaper than my most accurate Hornady bullet. The Hornady load is a 75Gr bullet so its a little faster and the recoil is less. But seriously the 100 Gr BT is the cheapest .25 cal on the shelf an it can do it all. There is also a company out there (cant remember the name) that does bullet "sample packs" for a given Cal. I think they are five bullets each of a variety of styles/weights for a given Cal. Welcome to the circus! CL

BK":22pqegbu said:
The BTs will be fine, ther ABs will be finer. I doubt a white tail will stress a BT from a .270 much.

The 150 BT outta my 270WSM is about as perfect a deer load as I can think of. Only followed up with the 140 BT outta the 264WM.. The 264 is yet untested, but the 150 BT from the 270WSM is wicked stuff..

Congratulations on the initiation into the excellent hobby/passion that is reloading. The only thing that I would add is that I would check SPS more often than weekly. Bullets, Brass, etc. fly off there shelves in a matter of minutes.

To everyone that has chimed in to welcome me, and to ditto the recommendation to not under-estimate the BT's and to check with SPS frequently - THANK YOU.

I knew this was a pretty healthy forum during my lurking. This thread has saved me some bucks already, and I feel like I have a plan. I have dies, powder, bullets, and stuff on the way. Need to find some primers locally to avoid the Hazmat fees then I'll begin my first rifle load. I've all but forgotten reloading for IDPA now that its hunting season, and I have this beautiful Browning X-Bolt dying for its first harvest.

PS: What sucks about all this, is I should have purchased a slug gun first. All the public land that is "close" to me, is shotgun only (how I missed that in my research I don't know). Its possible that I won't get to hunt with the 270 until next year. But when I do, I'll feel like I have a accurate load that can perform. What I think is more important, is I'll have ammo at a cost that I won't mind shooting 100-200 a month at the range.

Work up to it but 60 grs H4831 with most any 130 gr bullet has been a real shooter in about every 270 win I have ever loaded for.

You're on the right track. All of the advice offered is rock solid. Congratulations, and welcome to the madness!

iXanadu":kya9fec8 said:
I won't mind shooting 100-200 a month at the range.
This practice, especially from different field rest positions, will have you in fine form when your number comes up. You'll have your deer.

iXanadu":3m3edii5 said:
This thread has saved me some bucks already,

Man, you must be the only one. This place has cost me plenty, what with the group of enablers around here....

Easy, Kurt. Give the man a chance to savor the possibility of saving something. He'll be turned to the dark side soon enough. :twisted:

BK":2pnz0c5e said:
iXanadu":2pnz0c5e said:

Man, you must be the only one. This place has cost me plenty, what with the group of enablers around here....

Ain,t that the truth. Before I retired in 2007 I pretty much was using the 150 PT. At this point I have managed to buy and shoot every nosler hunting bullet they make for the .270 except the 130 E-tip. Thats next. Its definitly not my fault either. Its probably all the different color bullet tips and super BC,s and all the different weights. How does one pick just one. It does cost money but a blame anyone but myself. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

hubcap":3k6s5akn said:
BK":3k6s5akn said:
iXanadu":3k6s5akn said:

Ain,t that the truth. Before I retired in 2007 I pretty much was using the 150 PT. At this point I have managed to buy and shoot every nosler hunting bullet they make for the .270 except the 130 E-tip. Thats next. Its definitly not my fault either. Its probably all the different color bullet tips and super BC,s and all the different weights. How does one pick just one. It does cost money but a blame anyone but myself. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

What? Only for the .270? Hasn't anyone spoken to you about a 35 Whelen? Or a .280 AI? Or a ...

The whelen and .280AI sound good. I,m thinking more along the lines of a .270 WSM.That way I can take full advantage of the 150 LRAB. In the mean time I,m planning on some work with my 06 using 200 gr. PT,s. After that I want to dial in the 200 AB in my 300mag. I,m definitey staying busy. And spending money. Ha.

hubcap":3dzh5icz said:
The whelen and .280AI sound good. I,m thinking more along the lines of a .270 WSM.That way I can take full advantage of the 150 LRAB. In the mean time I,m planning on some work with my 06 using 200 gr. PT,s. After that I want to dial in the 200 AB in my 300mag. I,m definitey staying busy. And spending money. Ha.

Yup! There's a lot of that going 'round. Ain't no cure, or so I'm told.

DrMike":3vyuf2uo said:
hubcap":3vyuf2uo said:

Yup! There's a lot of that going 'round. Ain't no cure, or so I'm told.

Yup, I have the East Coast covered as well.. It is a disease.. :lol:

Back