reloading for the .44

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
I have a 7.25" SRH in .44 that I have not shot in about 5 years. I have had RCBS dies for about two years for the 44 so I decided to get off of my duff and start shooting it. I ordered up 200 of the 300 grain sporting handgun JHP from SPS a couple of weeks ago and purchased some H110. I have not reloaded for a hand gun before but felt that I needed to take the plunge.
At first I tried the wad cutter seater, but it just squished the lead down when I sat the bullet. I next tried the ball seater but it to squished the lead and narrowed out the hollow point.
IMG_0988.jpg

Is this squishing of lead normal or am I doing this wrong? Would a different die set have different seater plugs that would not deform the lead? Does anybody know if the deforming of the hollow point will effect performance?

I think it may be the seater plug. I've ran the very same bullets through some Lee dies with no issues. Out of curiosity, are you getting enough of a flair on your case from the expander to allow the bullet to start without much resistance? Here's a recently done 44 w/a 300g Nosler SH JHP.
44cartridges_zps2841ee27.jpg

Thank you for the reply. I am unsure of how much flair is needed. But, I will try flairing the mouth of the case some more. Does the Lee die come with more seater plugs than the Ball and the wad cutter?

Back