Reloading Die Question.

At least you know what your dealing with rather than wondering. I know Redding makes single body dies that dont touch the shoulder for not too much $$, unsure about any other die maker.

It's not like the sabre-toothed groundhog across the field will tear you up if you have a failure to feed.

358 WCF":1243jxln said:
At least you know what your dealing with rather than wondering. I know Redding makes single body dies that dont touch the shoulder for not too much $$, unsure about any other die maker.

It's not like the sabre-toothed groundhog across the field will tear you up if you have a failure to feed.

Hee Hee. Nope. Varmint rifles a person is able to do things with I'd never do or risk with a normal hunting rifle. Super light triggers, bullets at or in the rifling, etc.

Gun still shoots well enough bumping at .0025. I shot 3 shots with it this morning at 200 yds. Cold morning. First 2 shots were 1/2" apart, 3rd shot I dropped making the total group 1.040", so still 1/2" moa.

sako2":1243jxln said:
Shadetree are you using a rcbs die?

Yes sir I am.

I like tinkering with things. Just for shits and giggles cut a piece of electrical tape to wrap around the case. Set the die up like you usually do for your bump then us the tape to line the inside of the dies and size 1 to see what happens. I also have a 22-250 built on a mauser action. What powder do you use?

sako2":jbtpxp2m said:
I like tinkering with things. Just for shits and giggles cut a piece of electrical tape to wrap around the case. Set the die up like you usually do for your bump then us the tape to line the inside of the dies and size 1 to see what happens. I also have a 22-250 built on a mauser action. What powder do you use?

Don't think that would accomplish what I'm after. It's not a circumference issue at my die setting, but a length/reach issue to the bottom of the case. I can squeeze that base down fine if I bump the shoulder more than I want.

I'm using 36 gr's of IMR 4064. 55 gr Hdy V-max. Mauser action allows me to load long.... loaded lengths are 2.445. .015 off lands. Averaging 3650 fps.

3 shot groups at 100 are averaging sub 1/2", most times 2's and 3's. 4 shot groups hang around 4's, sometimes better, sometimes mid 5's.

.010 off the lands really works well also. But in the interest of not pushing pressures I'm running it at .015 off.

Actually it is a circumference issue because the case is tapered. At your length the die isn't squeezing the case. I haven't tried 4064 in mine. Was using 3031 until I ran out the went to varmint cause I got it for $14 a lb.

Just had a buddy drop off a bunch of old stuff as trade for the time I put into a couple of his rifles just helping him out. Good amount of brass for multiple calibers, and RCBS dies for 243,308, and along with that a 22-250 RCBS die set. It's pretty crusty looking inside but maybe I'll clean the sizing die up and see if it happens to be spec'd a little different than the die I'm using.

If not I'm really fine with the .0025 shoulder bump. Bolt closing is just snug at the bottom so no real concern about that, and it probably will only cost me maybe 2 extra reloadings at the end of case life.

Back