Recticle Selection

A

Anonymous

I've finally decided after 30 years to replace the duplex reticles in my Leupold scopes with something else after having problems judging hold over on p-dogs in Montana last year. I've been thinking of getting either Leupolds "SPR" , Mil Dot, or Leupold Dot. One scopes on a 22-250 the others on a 25-06. Any recommendations

Have u thought about just having a target turret installed?-- probably a little more accurate than a ballistic reticle (especially for pr. dogs). This way u can use the horizontal plex post tip for windage reference on the same plane as your elevation hold (in tenths of a "plex unit"-- like the mil-dot guys do). The plex reticle also provides good backup reticle ranging as well, with the center x-hair as the .5 mark, using a modified mil-ranging formula. My favorite (affordable) ballistic reticle though is the Burris Ballistic Mil-Dot. 7 reference stadia below the optical center @ 14.5 MOA trajectory compensation, and mil-dot ranging, and windage features all-in-1.

Thanks for the reply sscoyote----on both sites.

Hello Bigdog2,

I'm partial to Leupold fixed 6X scopes, having a number of them in the standard VAR-XII, compacts and Alaskans, all having the standard duplex reticle. Now, I'm trying a 42MM fixed Leupold 6X with the German #4 reticle mounted in Leupold's two piece bases on a M700-DMB in 260 Rem caliber. So far I really like the view as it seems not as cluttered in the area of the target and yet it's easy to see the crosshair bracketed by the heavy squared plex.

If you haven't seen this style reticle Leupold has it on their website. Also, they will install it on your (leupold) scope for a small charge.

Good Luck
jim

If this topic is still active, i'd also take a good look at the Tactical Milling Reticle Leupold's putting out-- simply a mil-dot reticle but the dots have been replaced by hash marks for more precise reference, as well as .5 mil marks-- better yet, and .2 mil marks between the 4th and 5th mil stadia--

http://www.leupold.com/products/reticles_TMR.htm

That reticle is gonna provide excellent ranging qualities for small as well as large targets, and good windage reference, and downarange zeroing to the tune of 17 MOA. This could be 1 of the best affordable reticles out there these days for long-range varminting applications.

The Special Purpose Reticle may be a little too big for varminting purposes (the axes are divided into 2.5 mil, or 8.6 MOA of trajectory stadia reference). This system is not easy to use for reticle ranging on smaller targets. It may provide OK downrange zeroing if the shooter develops an "interpolative" zeroing system between stadia.

Premiere Reticle can replace your reticle with dots or bars based on the velocity from your rifle. Leupold also now has a varmint reticle.Rick.

Leupold's also gonna be offering a custom reticle system, but it's sounds like it's gonna be limited to less minutes than the TMR would provide. Hard to say though. Fact is, i think it's up and running now-- at least it's in the latest Leupold catalog. Here it is--

http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom ... m_shop.htm

They're also putting an addtl. dot above the x-hair to use as a rangefinder-- but it would probably be less accurate than adapting the TDS system with the custom reticle pattern anyway, so really not needed.

Back