Reboring a factory barrel???

gerry":5vo3lv4r said:
I'm coming pretty late into this, was hunting when this was posted. I had a Browning BLR in 243 rebored to 260 Rem with a 1 in 8 twist by Dan Petersen it's a very accurate rifle it isn't too hard to get 1 inch groups with almost any bullet with some loads much better than that. I think thats pretty good for a lever gun with a mushy trigger, the work he did was excellent I would recommend him.

What does it cost to have a rifle rebored? Ballpark?

Gerry, that 260 BLR sounds very cool. Love those 264's and a nicely set up 260 in a BLR would be the epitome of handy. Scotty

beretzs":2bh36i9w said:

Gerry, that 260 BLR sounds very cool. Love those 264's and a nicely set up 260 in a BLR would be the epitome of handy. Scotty

Scotty you are right the little BLR points really well, the gun feels lively plus bullets from 85 to 160 gr can be used and it is ambidextrous. This is the first centerfire my wife has shot and she was able to handle the recoil quite well even the 160 gr load.

Don't know what it is now but it was in the $300 range, my total cost was +/- $500 since a gunsmith here in B.C. took off the barrel and shipped it south and then put it all together for me at the end it ended up costing slightly less than a brand new barrel but I ended up with using the original barrel complete with iron sights (which are pretty good) that fit the forearm perfectly I would do the same again under the same circumstances the only change would be not having a barrel band on such a light barrel any amount of pressure on the sling can throw the POI off, will change that soon to a regular front stud

Thanks for the additional info everyone.

noexperience":pbqomt19 said:
RIGHT in your neck of the woods in Pendleton, Oregon. Wayne York, Oregunsmithing

Thanks for bringing him up. I've actually been on his website before, but wasn't looking at reboring at the time. I'll have to check it out again.

beretzs":pbqomt19 said:

Scotty

I've seen anywhere from $290-$350 so far.

JES Reboring in Cottage Grove, OR is as good as you will find - Jesse does quality work for a very reasonable cost and is trustworthy as heck - he rebores 338 and larger

York would "probably" send the rifle you took him out for reboring ....

Thanks backcountryhunter,

JES seems reasonably priced indeed. If I could find a used savage 243, 7-08 etc. for a great price, this project may be able to become reality early next year! I was getting all excited looking at fat 35 cal bullets on midway the other day!

atm

Back