RCBS 505 scale

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I am using a RCBS 505 scale. Lately i have lost some confidence in it. I have discovered discrepancies as much as 1.4gr on a 73gr charge when spot checked against a Lyman electronic scale with check weights. What are my options?

Maybe try cleaning the pivot points with a q tips and alcohol?

JD338

I had one go bad all of a sudden a couple years back. No reason. Cleaned it all up but it didn't help. Had to buy a new one. Talked to my neighbor a while after and apparently it had happened to him as well years before. No idea how they go out of whack but it does happen.
I ended up buying a chargemaster last year and just use the beam as a check now. Much nicer.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Send RCBS an email or call them and let them know the problem. They have great customer service. I had a problem with a hand primer, they said to send it back and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

Had mine, an Ohaus 505 for a long time. I've weakened the magnet damper, cleaned pivots, and stoned the knife edges with a super fine hone. Put a bottom travel cushion bouncer below the beam pointer. It was moving slow and sort of hanging up a tenth or so off. Works fine now.

Back