Questions on Idaho

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
I posted this in the hunting section before I realized I should have posted it here.

I have been offered the opportunity to possibly go to Idaho for an elk/deer /bear hunt in the future. What are the procedures for obtaining a non residence license, and are there any youth licenses available?
Don't know for sure when but we will probably be starting out from the Rexburg area, as that is where my friend lives.
How is the Elk and mule deer and bear? I have whitetails here, so I don't want try for those unless the are MONSTERS!
Thanks in advance
JDMAG

i love hunting in idaho. the area we try is any elk or any antlerless. my kinda tag :grin: . good luck and just do some research and you'll find out.the wife and i went 2 for 2 on deer and 1 cow elk. that was in 3 days of hunting. the hunt of a lifetime can be 1 ridge awa. have fun maybe they will open wolves soon too. cant wait to predator call them :grin:

Thanks! I dont know when the trip will be, but I am alreasdy looking forward to it!
JDMAG

JDMAG,

The hunting in Idaho is great except where the wolves have greatly reduced the herds. I have been hunting there on my own for 16 years on and off. Rexburg is in an area where wolves and Grizzly bears have been introduced. I've been trying to decide where to go this year and I noticed the success rate on elk is still real high in that area. I guess because of Yellowstone's proximity. Licenses are over the counter or draw depending on the hunt for elk and deer. That area should be a great mule deer area. They do have nonresident junior mentored hunting 12-17 years. for $7.25 and Junior elk tags for $16.50. A license for you would be $141.50 and elk tag at $372.50 deer tag at $258.50 . You can use your deer tag for a bear or mountain lion instead if you happen across one. Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

FYI, Idaho is looking to/or has increased hunting fees this year, which non-residents get the brunt of. Check out the IDFG website.

They do have that info on the site but they are selling licenses and tags right now for the prices mentioned. Nest year may be a different story for elk etc.

Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I have been going to Idaho since 2003. It is my promised land to me. Licenses have gone up, but it is one of the only states you can buy an antlered elk tag over counter and have a good chance of connecting. I am going back in the fall if I can swing it this year. I just came back from a Spring Bear with my wife and saw moose, elk, deer, wolves and bears. All in the same area. To me, it doesn't get much better than that, unless you are in Canada. Take the trip. Idaho made me want to retire there. Scotty

Oh, I hunt in the McCall Area, near the North Fork.

Oh, plus you should be able to hunt wolves this year too. Hopefully they follow through with it. Scotty

Back