Predator rifle suggestion

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
My kid brother called me today and we got into talking about guns as usual. He is VERY happy with his Remington 270 I got him for Christmas, and he topped it with the Minox 1.5-8 I traded him for some 45-70 ammo :grin:

He mentioned today he wants a rifle built for predator control around the farm, as we have some issues with Coyotes. Shots wouldnt be far, typically 100 yards or in. I suggested a 25-06, but he already has a 270...

What do you guys suggest? 223, 243? And for rifle?

Ar-15... lots of calibers to chose from. 6x45 would be cool. There are also plenty of 6.8 spc based wildcats that look impressive. Check out dtechuppers.com. Or you could go just vanilla .223

I would go with a good AR-15 since shots would be 100 yards or less. Makes for quick follow up shots on multiples. Spend the extra money on scope, e caller, and light rather than building an expensive bolt gun.

I'm not sure a better dedicated yote gun exists than the 243Win. It'll buck the wind better than a .223cal, report and recoil are easy on the shooter, and it's a dandy deer rifle with the right bullets, too.

Maybe a 22-250? I would look at a sporter weight Savage or Tikka myself. A Remington SPS 243 would be really nice and not break the bank either......

I would say 22-250 or 243 Win.

FWIW, I have a M700 VLS 22-250 up for sale.
JDCoyote012008.jpg

JD338

On the AR15...if he wasnt living in CT, I would be all for it as well but owning one in that state...

It would be a bolt action of some sort.

ajvigs":1rz6nv7h said:
On the AR15...if he wasnt living in CT, I would be all for it as well but owning one in that state...

It would be a bolt action of some sort.

Dang! Go with the 243 :mrgreen:

For an around the farm rifle a .223 or .243 with a carbine length barrel would be tough to beat. Short barrel would be handy and you don't need the blistering speed to splatter Wylie typically.

Nothing wrong with that .270/100gr either for smoking a yote.... my guess is that far south you aren't harvesting fur.

The world is littered with good rifles these days. For low $$$ the Ruger Armerican has impressed me twice now and a Savage 11 once.

On up the food chain the outlook is even better... but that Winchester Stainless Featherweight is cataloged in .243 and I like it!

Hard to beat a good 22-250 or 243.. If you go with the 22-250, look at the TC's, as they have the twist to handle heavier bullet's in the 22-250, Savage may also.. The more twist the better for the 22-250 though.

I do like the 22-250, but for shorter ranges, you could do just as well with a 223 Remington. For occasional varmints, there are no flies on the .243 Winchester.

ajvigs":11qnyd4b said:
My kid brother called me today and we got into talking about guns as usual. He is VERY happy with his Remington 270 I got him for Christmas, and he topped it with the Minox 1.5-8 I traded him for some 45-70 ammo :grin:

He mentioned today he wants a rifle built for predator control around the farm, as we have some issues with Coyotes. Shots wouldnt be far, typically 100 yards or in. I suggested a 25-06, but he already has a 270...

What do you guys suggest? 223, 243? And for rifle?

...I'm guessing he's not reloading, yet???. If most of the shooting is going to be under 300yds., I don't think I would bother w/ a .22-250, it just won't have enough "room" to justify the extra expense. There is just one real drawback to a .223, that's the bolt face, it limits what you can build w/ the rifle. And I wouldn't get to concerned w/ fast twist rates, you don't need the heavy, high BC bullets. There's plenty of options, like the XS7, Ruger American, Savage carbines that will all do the job just fine, most of 'em will turn in Minute of Coyote accuracy right out of the box. A little more money can get you a Tikka T3 Lite, Winchester Shadow, or maybe an A-Bolt. Same goes for a .243, which would make a fine back-up deer rifle...

Mine is like the second one but in 260 Rem and a lefty, weighs 9.6 lbs with heavy duty Vortex split rings and a Fullfield II 3-9x40. Super accurate too.

Man I'm sold on the 22-250. The one I picked up was cheap and a gem. $600 as setup minus the bipod and slings. As for ammo I haven't see any .223 for under $20/20 for a year if you can find it I've always been able to find 22-250.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 571
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 571
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 571
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 570
Those Savage Predator/Hunters are great shooting rifles. Seen more than a few shoot bug holes right out of the box.

I'm no expert on predators but wouldn't a 22-250 be more decisive than a 223 Rem? A 243 would definitely be devastating.

I would not leave out the Ruger American in a 22-250, supposed to be a 1 in 10. They are inexpensive rifles and shoot great.

Back