Pre 64 model 70

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
Contemplating picking up an old girl. She is, I believe a 1950, Model 70 in .270. I don't see any rust. The wood is worn with small scratches but no big dings or scrapes. I would have to clean the bore really well to tell you about the bore. She was oiled up and placed in a soft case for more years than the owner could tell me. The muzzle is fairly packed with fuzz from the soft case. I am not wild about the flip over scope mounts. I know that the pics aren't that great. What is she worth?? Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_1024.jpg
IMG_1025.jpg

I saw one about like this one recently @ a show, priced at $900, but it had an original butt-plate still on it. Hard to tell about your prospect. The front-sight hood may not be correct on this one either, and possibly its been drilled on the receiver side to accomodate the scope mount. Many things are done to lots of these old rifles that take away from the collector values.

If its going to be a hunting rifle for you or a family member, it could serve you well as it is.

Yup, what Jim says. I would think the 800-900 mark would be close. Hard to see exactly, but the mount had put extra holes in it and the recoil pad is aftermarket as well, I think. All in all, it's just the kinda rifle I like. Put a proper mount on it and get to hunting!

It is certainly worth $800+ and is a nice common caliber shooter from a desirable era of pre 64 rifles. Rifles made from 1950 to 1959 were solid, quality rifles. As others have said, without knowing about other possible negatives, the only one the we can see is the non stock recoil pad.

Thank you for the replies. I scrubbed the bore fairly well and it looks to be in good shape. I have decided to purchase the rifle even though the driver's side of the receiver has been drilled for the side mounted flip over scope. I hope the the two screws in the side of the receiver do not compromise the integrity of the receiver. I think it will make a fine rifle for one of my four children when they get old enough to shoot.

runtohunt":tn75yhpm said:
Thank you for the replies. I scrubbed the bore fairly well and it looks to be in good shape. I have decided to purchase the rifle even though the driver's side of the receiver has been drilled for the side mounted flip over scope. I hope the the two screws in the side of the receiver do not compromise the integrity of the receiver. I think it will make a fine rifle for one of my four children when they get old enough to shoot.

RTH, those screw holes will in no way compromise the receiver. You should be in great shape with the rifle and I bet it shoots. They are cut rifled barrels and most all I have seen or heard of have been shooters when they are torqued down properly. The Pre64's like to be TIGHT on the bedding screws.. Almost the opposite I have come to learn with other wood stocked rifles.

RTH,

good choice! Enjoy !!!!!!

A g'smith can install small screws into the side-mount holes where they are hardly seen, if you choose to do that.

Kodiak":377tcfvy said:
RTH,

good choice! Enjoy !!!!!!

A g'smith can install small screws into the side-mount holes where they are hardly seen, if you choose to do that.

I've covered more than one screw hold with an appropriate screw.

I had my 1949 Model 70 receiver sight holes filled with screws and TIG welded, ground, polished, micro-sand blasted and blued to match the original finish. The gunsmith also had to reengrave a couple of the letters in "Winchester" script on the side of the action where the holes were. The screw holes hardly show now. However, mine was a Super Grade rifle and I wanted it to look nearly original with a custom stock on it. The inside bolt race under the screws was jeweled to cover the repair work and make the bolt action feel smoother.

All Model 70 barrels were cut rifled until about 1964, after which they were hammer forged. I also have also found that my Pre 64 Model 70's shot better groups with the middle screw not torqued as heavily as the front screw. The older gentleman who had owned my gun originally, had installed the side mounted receiver sight and had filed all of the checkering off of a really clean and nice Super Grade Transition Model stock! There is no accounting for taste sometmes. I was forced to have the rifle restocked in order to bring it back to its former glory.

Going to go take the old girl out tomorrow if the weather holds. I have been very interested in the rifle/caliber after reading a couple of compilations of O'Connor's stories last summer. I feel very fortunate to have found the old girl for such a good deal-a little over half of the estimated prices! The prior owner could not remember the last time he had her out. It is sad when a fine rifle such as this spends dozens of years in a safe without seeing the light of day and having her barrel warmed up a little.

The .270 can be a great round, and when chambered in a pre-64 Model 70 ... well, you can't get much more classic. I'll be watching for your range report.

You may have to monkey with tension of the action screws and setting the barrel tension screw to get optimal accuracy but that is just part of the challenge of owning a Pre 64 Model 70.

Back