powder differences

freebird63

Beginner
Dec 9, 2011
Does anyone truly know what makes one powder more temp sensitive then another. I would love to try reloader powder but have heard many horror stories about how temp sensitive it is. I know I experienced it first hand when I tried US869 in my 300RUM. So now with my 280AI I am either using H1000 or H4831SC. I do have some magpro that I have been wanting to try. So does anyone know the answer to this???

I have never run into a problem with temperature sensitivity with Alliant powders. Either I'm lucky across the board with their powders or too dumb to realize it. I use R15 for 7mm-08, 338-06, and 22-250. I use R19 for the 257AI and 300WSM. I use R25 for the 6.5WSM. There are several on here that use R22 for a wide range of calibers. We are talking temperature ranges of 80 plus to -20 degrees. To me there is some hype behind the "extreme" powders that Hodgen sells. Just so you know how much I don't buy into the temp sensitive thing...I will be using an old ball powder (H414) for elk hunting this year in Montana. My 300 WSM shoots the 180 PT with this powder faster and more accurately than anything else I have tried.

All powders are temp sensitive, some more than others.

I use RL 22 in my 280 AI and do not have any issues.

JD338

Same here. I use Alliant for most everything, RL7 for the 45-70 and 444 Marlin, RL15 for the 22-250, 35 Whelen, and 308, RL19 for the 300WSM and 338 Win Mag, RL22 for the 7WSM and 270WSM, and RL25 for the 264WM. I haven't found anything to complain about with any of them. I have good accurate loads and while doing load work in the Summer here in VA, I also check my speeds in the Winter, just to get an idea of speeds, and haven't found them lacking enough to look at different powders. I will use some older Winchester Ball Powders as well, and still can't find enough appreciable difference to make me wanna change. RL22 is an awesome powder for your 280AI. It is really stepping out well in my 7WSM too.

Ya I see that RL 22 has some real good fps over all the others. I had tried RL 25 in my 300RUM, but ended up using retumbo. I might have save up some coin and buy a jug and give it a try.

It seems like it is a natural for the 280 with 140's/160's. Might be worth a shot if it shoots in your rifle.

I know many people obsess over temperature sensitivity. I'm working on a rifle now that I previously worked up and developed a load. The rifle shoots wonderfully small groups at excellent velocities. The owner, however, wants a powder that is not "temperature sensitive." When I asked if he intended to hunt in Mexico or Australia, he allowed that he would be hunting around here. I assured him that the Alliant powder used would work very well for him, but he was insistent because he had read the ads. It is no big deal for me; it means more money in my pocket. However, I use a lot of powders that are not considered temperature sensitive, and the impact on my hunting is minimal.

I'm guessing it was probably around 105 degrees the day I did the load work up for my .35 Whelen and RL15. Velocity was right at 2710 FPS average. fast forward to Raton New Mexico in early Deember where the tempeature was right at 28 degrees according to the thermometer in the guides truck. probably hadn't changd all that much when I shot my cow elk and as far as I know that bullet was still doing 2710 FPS.
When I lived in Nevada, much load work ups were also done in the summer although I was always shooting at something. One load was a stiff one in my .308 using H335 and it with the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-hunters did serious damage on jack rabbit and any deer shot with that load died very quickly. I never had a problem with milsurp 4931 or 4895 which were two more powders I used a lot. Now maybe if I worked up a load here in southern Arizona in the middle of July which is usually our hottest month and then did a hunt in Alaska in the middle of winter for polar bear or some such there might be a problem but at least for me and what hunting I do, temperature has so far been the least of my worries.
I kind of have to think maybe the problem has been over rated just a touch.
Paul B.

I was just reading a scientific paper about experiments conducted by an engineer on the effects of temperature with temperature stable H4350 vs normal old IMR 4350. The H4350 when subjected to temperature changes from 40*F to 90*F, changed 3200 PSI with a normal SAAMI presure loaded cartridge. IMR 4350 subjected to the same experiment, changed less than 1000 PSI with the same pressure load. The bottom line is: so much for marketing claims and Marketeer honesty on this topic! Make my powder IMR please!

Too many other variables out there for me to worry about besides temperature sensitivity. One thing I have become more aware of over the years is my reluctance to fall for marketing hype or become branded. If I find myself looking to buy something just because of an advertisement or name brand, I step back and analyze it as a generic. If it still makes sense, then I might move forward with a purchase.

Mountain Goat":2x4vt764 said:
If I find myself looking to buy something just because of an advertisement or name brand, I step back and analyze it as a generic. If it still makes sense, then I might move forward with a purchase.

Amen. I have a standing rule now that says if the words "tactical' or "operator" appear in product add or name, it gets an automatic veto.

I personally have experienced erratic performance with Re17 in the .220 Swift. Scared the crap out of me.

I have a friend who was using Re22 in a .300 Weatherby. Loads were developed in nice 80-degree weather, and during an elk hunt in sub-freezing weather missed an elk all together at several hundred yards. The guy has been handloading and hunting since before I was born and I doubt neither his handloading nor his shooting skills.

Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders are manufactured to satisfy the Australian defense establishment and that's good enough for me.

Reloder 19 is pretty temp stable in my experience...so is Reloder 15, but RL15 isn't suitable for your use in that rifle...Reloder 19 just might be what you're looking for, as it is slower than the 4350's, but faster than Reloder 22...RL19 is pretty close to the same burn speed as the 4831's, I used it in my 280AI and had great accuracy and no "temp" problems...

The only thing is its a very large grain powder...its like trickling squirrel turds.

Oldtrader3":10txywwz said:
I was just reading a scientific paper about experiments conducted by an engineer on the effects of temperature with temperature stable H4350 vs normal old IMR 4350. The H4350 when subjected to temperature changes from 40*F to 90*F, changed 3200 PSI with a normal SAAMI presure loaded cartridge. IMR 4350 subjected to the same experiment, changed less than 1000 PSI with the same pressure load. The bottom line is: so much for marketing claims and Marketeer honesty on this topic! Make my powder IMR please!

I read something not long ago that showed just the opposite...not saying either of us is right or wrong...just that we still don't know.

Make my powder "Extreme"... :)

I have had RL22 to cause me problems in 300WM on warm days...the only IMR powder I've had cause to use is IMR4895, used to use it in 45-70...until I found H322.

I stock and use four rifle powders. They are IMR 3031, 4064, 4350, 7828 SSC. This burning rate spread runs the gamut from the .204 to the .340 Weatherby.

My applied 50 years of using IMR 4831 then 7828, 4350, 4064 and 3031 leads me to believe the outcome or at least the directionality of the study which I cited. I have never missed an animal because of temperature with these powders. However, I do use a magnum primer below freezing for any cartridge in a .270 Win case or larger. This has worked for me with DRT deer for the span noted. I don't really have any expectation that anyone else will accept what I say as any final word on anything FWIW. :mrgreen:

Back