Pork chops!

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Last week the college roommates and I headed to Oklahoma for our first pig hunt. It was on private land over feeders. Two out of the three of us scored.

The first one, a 160 lb boar, was taken at about 60 yards with a .270 and a 130 BT over the classic 59.5 grains H4831. Quartering shot went through the oncoming shoulder and obliterated the heart. The beast was dead on its feet, but since he kept moving, my buddy cranked the bolt a couple more times until the dust settled. The jacket fell out and made a "clink" on the concrete when we skinned him. I don't have pictures but it looked about perfect. Chunks of the core were also found throughout the guts.

Mine was a sow about the same size, a little over 80 yards. Launch platform was the 1959 M70 Featherweight, chambered in the wonderful .30-06, with a 6X42 Leupold. The load was a 165 AB over 59 grains H4350 and clocks 2,860 FPS. It took her right at the base of her skull just behind the atlas joint. Obviously she went straight down. She had a big ol' litter inside of her and looked pretty healthy, and there was no lost meat so hopefully she tastes OK. I should be set on brats and breakfast sausage for a while! :)

The weather was magnificent; lows in the mid-30s and highs bumping 60. We returned home to ambient temperatures below zero and wind gusts of 60 mph...

IMG_2362.JPG

Way to go buddy! I have wanted to pig hunt for awhile and all that sausage sounds really darned good..

Classic rifle too. It looks beautiful laid out over that pig. What a set up. Not a huge 30-06 fan, but I am sure if I had that one you have, it would get hunted, alot!

Nicely done buddy. Congratulations to you and your friend connecting on some fresh pork.
That M70 30-06 is very nice and a perfect set up for hogs.

JD338

Oh man that looks like fun. Porkers and pre 64's! My kind of style!

Did you wave as you passed me in Kansas City?

Nice Boar, and very good meat too!..I canceled my Feb 8 wildboar hunt to the end of March :grin:

Man, I need to break in my .375 H&H :twisted:

Congrats,

Lou

Thank you guys for the compliments. 1964 was almost 20 years before I was born so my perspective is admittedly hind-sighted, but it is a great rifle.

Pat, I actually thought of you on the way down; we swung through Cabela's and in the gun library they had a pre-64 .300 H&H in what appeared to be carbine trim... Sticker was thirteen thousand smackaroos. We cut straight up through downtown on the way back. Sunday afternoon so traffic was easy.

Lou, looking forward to your results as well!

It sure looks like a good time was had by all :wink: will know in a couple of weeks if me & the Mrs. will be heading to Tuscon for visit ( last 2 weeks of March). If so we could be heading to Texas for a 3 day hog hunt:)!!

Blessings,
dan

Hegland":1vkwd8i1 said:

Thanks :grin: ..2 more weeks to go!..It's a tose up between the .375 H&H and 7mm Rem mag, Nah, :idea: .375 H&H all the way :wink:

Lou

Hegland":1bkdisqp said:
Thank you guys for the compliments. 1964 was almost 20 years before I was born so my perspective is admittedly hind-sighted, but it is a great rifle.

Pat, I actually thought of you on the way down; we swung through Cabela's and in the gun library they had a pre-64 .300 H&H in what appeared to be carbine trim... Sticker was thirteen thousand smackaroos. We cut straight up through downtown on the way back. Sunday afternoon so traffic was easy.

They have had that "carbine" for three years now. When we moved here in 2011 it was stickered for 18,999. When I purchased the 375 h&h from the library last year i inquired about it. The library manager said " we way overpaid for that one". :). I mentioned that winchester never catalouged or showed records of ever having an order for a 300 Carbine he just put his head down. Oooops!

What part of OK did you guys go to?

pre6422hornet":3tp2pbvp said:
I mentioned that winchester never catalouged or showed records of ever having an order for a 300 Carbine he just put his head down. Oooops!

What part of OK did you guys go to?
Shame that such a classic rifle was cut up like that, never mind the price they're asking. Anyway, we were north and west of Oklahoma City. Part of the state I'd never seen before, so it was good to see some new country. At the time, the wheat appeared to be in pretty decent shape. There's been a lot of weather between then and now though.

Sako 85":3tp2pbvp said:
2 more weeks to go!
Best of luck, sir! That .375 ought to put all four hooves pointing straight up in a hurry. :)

Back