one rifle/four continents/ twelve animals

Man that would be exciting (y) .
If I was doing a one rifle hunt it would be The Hammer of Thor :mrgreen: my RMR in the 35 Whelen shooting either the 225gr AccuBond or the 250gr Partition.

Blessings,
Dan

aaahhhhh---that is a really cool story April. Good for them

I am not Gil, Bruce or Hodgeman, but IMHO, if your shots are under 350, maybe 400, yards, which all of mine are, I have no idea why one would not use the 200, instead of the180. The 300 H & H and the 200 gr bullet, again IMHO, was a marriage made in heaven. BUT, like you April, I am also interested in the learning from those who prefer the 180.

Best Regards

Jamila

April,

While I do not own a 300 H&H, I know a few people who do and love the cartridge. I was initially inclined to agree with Bruce on the 180 gr bullet; I thought of the bullet and ammo choices that he would have available in Europe or Portugal and the species he would be hunting and the terrain and potential shooting distances he was going to encounter. The 180 would undoubtedly provide the flattest trajectory, but would not provide the penetration that could/would be required on less than ideal presentations with the larger, tougher game (the eland in particular). The 220 bullet would provide better penetration, but would produce more of a rainbow trajectory. The 200 gr bullet would be the best choice for balance of trajectory and penetration for the animals on his bucket list in the countries he had chosen to hunt them in. At reasonable ranges, with good presentation, it would handle the larger animals, and still be flat enough and accurate enough for the smaller species.

While I have a 300, it is the WSM and my Remington 700 action limits overall cartridge length and the 200 gr bullet will be seated deeper than I would prefer to load it. If I require a heavier bullet, I also have larger cartridges to choose from (338 Federal and 338-06, or 358 Win). I have owned a 300 Win Mag in the past, and while a great cartridge, it just did not appeal to me. If I was to get another larger 30 cal rifle (unlikely) I would choose the H&H for its nostalgia, accuracy and fact that it is not that common today.

I chose the 180 based on it's availability in factory ammo, worldwide.

200gr bullets are good, but modern bullets are so good I just can't see the 200 being superior to a 180 in terminal performance. The 180s typically have better trajectory and are certainly more common.

I think the heavyweight .308 bullets are an anachronism, probably no really good reason for them in the modern era of controlled expansion and monometal bullets. Even the vaunted 220 out of an '06 won't outpenetrate a 180TSX, TBBC or AccuBond to any significant degree. In fact, I predominantly don't recover those bullets- I've only stopped one....on a long shot on a quartering away moose. Everything else exited.

hodgeman, Gil

Thank you, excellent information.

I must admit that having used the 200 without incident and as mentioned at much shorter shooting yards than most of you fellows shoot at, the 200 always worked very well for us and on paper, excluding trajectory, which the difference was also marginal, the 200 gave us just little more than the 180. Being from the old school of it is not broke dont fix it we had great success with the 200.

To be honest with you I "think" Jamila was handed a 300 H & H loaded with 200 gr bullets and I would be surprised if she has every known anything else, plus on average the game she hunts are a tad tougher--but I should not and am not speaking for her

But I concur that the bullets today are so much better, that a modern day 180 is probably better than a yesteryear 200

Thanks guys!

Gil ( and Susan ) I am so glad to hear you two are going to Africa. You will not regret this wonderful adventure and will relive it many times

I picked up and oogled a Model 70 with 300 magnum on the barrel at a gun show in houston a couple years ago. It was in very good shape and unaltered, read only threaded holes on the front of the receiver and on the barrel. Not exactly suited to modern optics. I could of never altered the rifle and my eyes are useless without a scope. The rifle had a very low serial number and was made two years before the model 70 was introduced. Of course I couldn't deal with the price either. Since then I've been fixated on a 300 H&H. I mentioned the 180gr bullet because if I had a 300 I would load it with 180 partitions. Not any real difference between the 180 and 200gr. One day I'll come across a model 70 in 300 magnum perhaps one made after the war for the right price.

Bruce, I hope you find your 300 H & H. Both my 300 and 275 H & H's were obtained to join my 375 H & H and my search and acquisition was assisted by a couple other members and I will forever be in their debt for their kindness.

Only takes about 10 minutes to adjust the scope to compensate for the change from one bullet weight to another, and verify at reasonable ranges.

No problem.

Cheyenne, you were not wrong and you have every right to your opinion even if others disagree. You made several excellent points and reasonable men like those who have posted on this thread (and others) appreciate your input. I was sorry to see that you edited and deleted all but your comment to Bruce.

The 200 does give one a bit more of everything compared to the 180, excluding trajectory and distance and even then the different his marginal. But on most animals hunted, especially in North America, I can not imagine an animal that would not fall over when hit with a 180 gr bullet from a 300 H & H, if the shooter does his job correctly.

At any rate, thank you for the post and your opinion.

Cheyenne,

I second what April has said and encourage you to feel free to give your opinions, even the hot sports opinions! :>) Honestly, you have a ton of experience for your age and most of us would love to have it unfiltered.

c. schutte":1y0ea3ru said:
Cheyenne,

I second what April has said and encourage you to feel free to give your opinions, even the hot sports opinions! :>) Honestly, you have a ton of experience for your age and most of us would love to have it unfiltered.
Cheyenne just wants to tell us its the 35 Whelen. :mrgreen:

April,
My guess is the 7x57 Mauser with 175 gr RN soft point bullets.

For me, I would use my 338 RUM with the 250 gr AB.

JD338

Great story and thread! If I were guessing, I would probably say 9.3x62 Mauser using either a 286 grain Woodleigh Weldcore or Nosler Partition.

If it were me hunting the same game, I would probably take my Ruger M77 358 Win loaded with a stout load of TAC under a 225 grain Nosler Partition. I would probably take my 9.3x62 with hand loaded 286 grain NP's as a backup. Both rifles are accurate but, I have more confidence shooting my 358 Win because of its accuracy at the ranges I normally shoot.

Europe":m4p7py2w said:
Europe--Boar, Mouflon, Ibex
New Zealand--Red Stag, Tahr, Chamois
North America--Moose, Grizzly, Caribou
Africa--Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok

What caliber rifle and what weight bullet would you take to hunt these twelve animals ? (one caliber rifle and one weight bullet for all twelve )

It has .338Win + 250grain bullet written all over it.

Rigbymauser":ddng0kyp said:
Europe":ddng0kyp said:
Europe--Boar, Mouflon, Ibex
New Zealand--Red Stag, Tahr, Chamois
North America--Moose, Grizzly, Caribou
Africa--Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok

What caliber rifle and what weight bullet would you take to hunt these twelve animals ? (one caliber rifle and one weight bullet for all twelve )

It has .338Win + 250grain bullet written all over it.

Yes sir! Late to the show but YEAP... That's what I was thinking as well..

Whats a 300 H&H? :lol: Handicapped & Homely :mrgreen:

Just kidding.. It's a cool cartridge and was a staple in my favorite rifle from the get go..

Scotty,
A 300 H&H is simply a 30/06 with a box of Hornady Superformance ammo to go with it ! :lol:
(No offensive to the wonderful folks on here that love their Hollands ) :wink:
Just sayin.

35 Whelen":365b8e4m said:
Scotty,
A 300 H&H is simply a 30/06 with a box of Hornady Superformance ammo to go with it ! :lol:
Just sayin.

kind of like the folks who use the 35 whelen because they have not discovered the 338-06 or the 9.3 x 62.

Of course those who are use to handling a longer action on a daily basis, the 375 H & H works for them. Every man knows what best describes him.

Europe":25cmrdds said:
kind of like the folks who use the 35 whelen because they have not discovered the 338-06 or the 9.3 x 62.

Of course those who are use to handling a longer action on a daily basis, the 375 H & H works for them. Every man knows what best describes him.

The 9.3x62 was WAY too modern.. Went with something more traditional in the 9.3x57 :mrgreen:

Europe":ha1l64x2 said:
35 Whelen":ha1l64x2 said:
Scotty,
Just sayin.

thank god I was not drinking anything when I read this. And--I think I will pass on making any kind of comment (-:

Model 70 Pre-War 300 H&H with Leupold 3.5x10 40mm CDS, Burris Signature rings with 10 MOA insert. This would do.
My current load is Noslers 180gr Accubonds it was 180gr Partition's with a Max load of IMR 4350.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 1,131
Back