Old Binos

JD338":1qwwmwov said:
The larger glass is better in low light situations.
FWIW, my Meopta 10x42 is pretty darn good in low light.

JD338
Thanks Jim, yep my Meopta meopro scope in 44mm is great in low light so I understand what your saying and is the main reason I bought it, sure is a lot of scope for the money just wish they would make a 1-6X42mm in the same price range because I would be all over it and buy 2 of them.

The other great advantage to the 42 mm glass is field of view.

This allows you to glass more country at a distance without moving as much, which will ease eye strain when grassing for extended periods of time. It also makes it easier to pick up moving objects at closer distances, such as a buck moving throughout the bush close to you as you are still hunting.

The small Binocular are made to look at something. A bird, a Stage, A mountain. A quick look. The larger binocular are made for longer use. Glassing a basin for deer, a ridge for a goat etc. I love my small binocular. I leave them on my deck to watch birds at the feeders. I have a set in my hunting gear, Just incase I lose or forget my main binocular or need to loan them to another hunter because they do not have theirs.

Thanks everyone for all the info. After some extensive research on birding sights and other places I found a review from the UK on the Minox BV II 10X42 and the reviewer did a side by side comparison to some of the upper end binos to see what the real differences were besides price. He used charts to compare field of view,brightness and light gathering at twilight, sun rise and set.
Though there was a difference favoring the top end glass there wasn't enough to justify $1000 dollars difference for the average joe like me. If I had to use these for a living yes I would have bought the high end glass but I just can't justify spending over $1k for glass.
I also learned one company makes all the glass for the different brands and puts the coatings on to their specifications and most of the ones under $1k and some over are built in China under contract and most of them in the same factory side by side.
Cameralandny had a pair of open box for under $200 so I couldn't pass it up.
They should be here by the end of the week.

Sister Mary Margaret and her yard stick spent considerable effort convincing me doing my home work was a good thing. Perhaps she was correct.
Looks like your homework paid off Roger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":1enpfg2d said:
Sister Mary Margaret and her yard stick spent considerable effort convincing me doing my home work was a good thing. Perhaps she was correct.
Looks like your homework paid off Roger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Buddy but the proof will be in the pudding when they arrive and I get to use them.
There was a lot of eye strain from all the reading I've done on the computer to find what fit my budget best. It seems that Minox glass is very highly regarded in EU but not known as well here.
I was surprised at how many top end Binoculars ($1000 range ) are made in China and at the same factory.

Thanks for the suggestions as well as I am in the market as well. I really don't want less than 10x as when I want to see what I'm looking at I want it bigger.

1100 Remington Man":5bpgxes2 said:
Thanks for the suggestions as well as I am in the market as well. I really don't want less than 10x as when I want to see what I'm looking at I want it bigger.
Watch Cameralandny since they are at the shot show they will have a ton of open box deals and have already started with Vortex Viper scopes at 1/2 price.

Back