Offut AFB/ Omaha Area

YoteSmoker

Handloader
Oct 3, 2006
I just got word that I'm being assigned there in March. After 7.75 years at my current base, I'm really looking forward to it. Are any of you from there or have lived there? I really don't know anything about it except it looks like it has some big trees and is green compared to Colorado. I've heard there is very good pheasant hunting. How about big game hunting? Any info you can give me, I'd like to hear...good and bad. Thanks!

A change of scenery can't be all bad. I'm certain you'll enjoy Nebraska. My brother lives in Omaha, but he doesn't hunt. There are some decent mule deer on public land, but I believe they get quite a bit of pressure. I'm also aware of whitetail. There can be some good pheasant and turkey hunting in NE. I don't know if Nebraska has reciprocity with Kansas or Iowa, but I would think if they do it would give some options. Enjoy the new base.

False alarm, assignment got cancelled because of a screw up that showed there was an opening for this special duty when there really was not. Gotta love computers. and military personnel systems!

YS, any idea where your headed next? Are they going to keep you on station a little longer or are you looking for orders somewhere else? Scotty

Scotty, they might keep me longer but actually looking forward to PCSing. The assignment that was cancelled was for a special duty/flying position. I was just trying for a base of preference and routine stateside assignment in satellite communications. Do you have something in mind? I've got 16 days left on my deployment so looking forward to getting home to family and some hunting in. I'm watching the stateside assignment listing coming out in a few days so hopefully I can match up a reality this time!

Good luck YS. Hope you get another good assignment position. I wished I had the option you AF guys have. If you come East we could always link up for hunting and shooting. Scotty

Hey at least you're not stuck between Colorado Springs and Fort Bragg, NC for the rest of your life. I suppose you could always come down to Peterson or Cheyenne Mountain if you want.

Back