Not-so-new M70

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Just before the holidays, a snow day occasioned the opportunity to sniff around a little bit. What I found was a 1959 manufacture Model 70 Featherweight .30-06, in very good shape, at a price I thought was plenty reasonable. It showed up late last week. Terrific grain, and even some light fiddleback along the comb area. Such a classic rifle/cartridge combination is begging for a fixed power Leupold, but the checkbook is going to have to recover a little first. For the time being, I fitted it with a 3-9X40 VXII I had lying around.

View attachment IMG_2020.JPG

View attachment IMG_2026.JPG

The temperature here yesterday was in the mid-20s and almost no wind. Either of those in January is notable, but both of them together was nothing short of a miracle. 150 BTs with 58 grains H4350 were inside an inch at 2930 fps. 165 ABs gave the best group at 58 grains of the same, but the 59.0 group gave very consistent readings and I think can be coaxed into smaller groups with seating depth adjustments.

I swapped out the trigger spring for a 24 oz. Jard, and it breaks very crisp and clean. Whether it's been adjusted or not, I don't know, but I'm content with it.

Here it is with the other M70s. The .270 Featherweight in the middle and a .338 sporter at bottom:

View attachment IMG_2031.JPG

While I was at it, I also verified a load for the .280 with the 140 BT and IMR 4350, grouping 3/4" and 2925 fps, and for the .338 with the 210 PT and (again) IMR4350, 72 grains right at an inch and just over 2900 fps. Earlier last fall, with warmer temperatures, this did 2950 fps on the nose, but the group size was the same. This one looks to me like a fantastic "anything, anywhere, anytime" candidate.

Our late antlerless season is coming up, and any of these three are ready. :)

That is a great grab, Hegland. Congratulations. I believe it will prove pleasing to you.

You got some nice rifles! I'm keeping an eye out for a pre-64 this year for myself. I guess I should finally get on the bandwagon and get my first one and see what all the fuss is about. :D

Nice grab. I for one would not change a thing.

Hegland

Nice find. That collection will cover most anything you care to hunt.

JD338

akhunter":4pljiyy4 said:
You got some nice rifles! I'm keeping an eye out for a pre-64 this year for myself. I guess I should finally get on the bandwagon and get my first one and see what all the fuss is about. :D

Be very carefull on this quest. It is one you will never be able to turn back from and the small spark of obsession will soon grow into an insatiable inferno....... :lol:

Thank you gents. The pre-64 action was a growing curiosity of mine, and when this came along, I bit. I'm optimistic.

OldTrader, you can put another notch in your belt!

Hegland, awesome score man. As a newcomer to Pre64 Model 70's, I know the feeling.. I love mine and constantly find myself looking for more! That 30-06 has some very nice wood and looks to be in excellent shape. Seems like it is a GREAT shooter as well too. Way to go!

I would love to have a 30-06 similar to that one, and I agree, a fixed power Leupold would be a good mate to that rifle for sure.

Awesome collection of Model 70's. I need to get started on load work again with my 338 soon as well. going to revisit the 210 PT's as well. They seem to wanna shoot, so I will give them another go.

That is really a beauty, it looks to be in excellent condition for its age. Congratulations on your purchase !!!!

Thanks guys. A guy has a pretty good idea what he's going to get out of a .30-06, and this one seems to be in line. I think I'm going to try 150 PTs as well, and see what they do.

Scotty, I had to play with seating depth with that 210 PT, but it seems to be bringing the mail. I might try to duplicate with H4350, simply because I have an 8-lb jug of it. On the other hand, a pound of IMR4350 will load quite a few cartridges... :)

Hegland":1x6x2bvm said:
Thanks guys. A guy has a pretty good idea what he's going to get out of a .30-06, and this one seems to be in line. I think I'm going to try 150 PTs as well, and see what they do.

Scotty, I had to play with seating depth with that 210 PT, but it seems to be bringing the mail. I might try to duplicate with H4350, simply because I have an 8-lb jug of it. On the other hand, a pound of IMR4350 will load quite a few cartridges... :)

I will be working with them shortly. Gotta get to the bench and start prepping cases for them.

Back