Norma Powder

HOGWILD338-378

Handloader
Aug 22, 2012
Never hear a lot about this powder and was wondering if it was the price or performance ? I have some that I need to use and will get around to it later than sooner probably but how many people are running this powder and have just not talked much about it ?

Terry, I haven't used a ton of it recently, but it was more about availability than performance. Matter of fact, MRP looks real good in alot of my stuff, and I think if I was to get in on 8lbs of it, I would be danged happy with it. Never heard much bad about any of it. This coming year, I am planning to try more of it, since Western Powders has picked up importing it.

Excellent powders, as their brass and bullets are excellent. Availability has been a problem. Now that Western Powders is distributing these powders, I would anticipate that they will be more easily obtained. I can't speak to the cost as I don't know what the marketing will be like.

Lotta Norma powder around these day!! I will be trying some soon :grin: MRP probably as I have some in my box !!

Used and have some MRP on hand. Great powder for the weatherbies especially the 378 WBY.

I assume that with the box of rifles I have I need an 8 lb jug myself but I have a lotta RL 22, I was under the impression Norma used this powder in Weatherby Factory rounds or a variant ?

Not sure, but yeah, with those big WBY's, an 8lb'er wouldn't go to waste.. :lol:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 283%7C1699

I just got a package from them but they were outta this at the time but it is still spendy but probably be worth the money!! Seems all powders I have been watching are never all in stock at same time but it looks like they are coming back 1 or 2 at a time in stock! Seems IMR and Norma are in stock at a lotta places!

That looks quite exciting, Terry. I could definitely go for a couple of eight pounders.

Sas874runner":2mp781tz said:
Mrp looks like it could be really impressive in the 270 win with a shiney ablr

Yes sir, I am pretty sure MRP or RL22 would really make the 270 Winchester sing with the new 150ABLR.. I am betting you could top 3000 pretty easily with a 24" tube and man, that'll carry alot of energy downrange..

My Lasermark has a 26 inch tube and what a sweet gun to shoot, fixin to order some 300 WM Redding dies as my baby will be here 2nd week of the new year :) I am not hurting for heavy caliber powders :)
null_zps7a3764b5.jpg

null_zps82cb5052.jpg

I use my cell phone camera for stock control :lol:

I always felt MRP and 22 were the same powder by the same manufacturer from Sweden ?
I've use both in my .340 with good results higher velocity than 7828. I too think Weatherby
uses MRP.

Has anybody tried Norma 217? I have 2# coming. Wanna try it in the 7WSM & 7RUM! Got some data for the 7mag from norma, looks promising.

HOGWILD338-378":3fs9dx37 said:
I assume that with the box of rifles I have I need an 8 lb jug myself but I have a lotta RL 22, I was under the impression Norma used this powder in Weatherby Factory rounds or a variant ?

My 378 Wby FACTORY loads featuring the Hornady 270 gr SPTZ was loaded with an average (all 20 rounds were pulled) of 118.3 grains of powder.

I loaded 10 with 118 gr of my MRP and velocity and case head expansion was identical to the factory loaded 10.

Nice test Fotis you pushed the top end but i guess you checked it really nicely, i just wish we could meat at Specialty Sport’s in C Spring’s with a couple brand new credit cards and a small trailer for each of us :shock: I think we would have a great time as that is the best gunshop i have been in West of that big old Mississippi River by far :grin: i want crony some of this stuff soon myself as i bet it’s like Factory stuff and not much more than a 30 to 40 fps spread! So your 378 is a 26 inch barrel?

Norma MRP works very well with my 6.5x55, 270 win and & 7 RM. It is about like Rl22.
powdervalley.com it is my source.

HOGWILD338-378":2jbvnkew said:
Nice test Fotis you pushed the top end but i guess you checked it really nicely, i just wish we could meat at Specialty Sport’s in C Spring’s with a couple brand new credit cards and a small trailer for each of us :shock: I think we would have a great time as that is the best gunshop i have been in West of that big old Mississippi River by far :grin: i want crony some of this stuff soon myself as i bet it’s like Factory stuff and not much more than a 30 to 40 fps spread! So your 378 is a 26 inch barrel?

That would be great! Cash is better! :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes sir 26" tube

Chris Kyle Rifle took all my new 100’s :shock: an optic for it will take the few i have left after i get the optic cerakoted FDE :mrgreen: but man i enjoy that place! will be hard to not make the trip from ABQ before XMASS :oops:

Back