Non-resident mule deer options

akhunter

Beginner
Dec 19, 2011
Where can a non-resident hunter go for mule deer in the lower 48 or Canada without having to draw for a permit or save up for a bunch of preference points?

And for Canada posters here, is there any deer in the Yukon or NW territories? And do you have to be guided for deer?

I've drawn for non-resident mule deer in Wyoming every time I've put in. I don't put in for the premium areas - but still see great bucks.

Washington has over-the-counter mule deer tags, no draw necessary, but the odds of taking a good buck aren't all that great. They exist, and guys get them every year, but Washington isn't known for the best of mule deer hunting.

Guy

Where can a non-resident hunter go for mule deer in the lower 48 or Canada without having to draw for a permit or save up for a bunch of preference points?
[/quote

What kind of opportunity are you looking for?. Idaho and Washington both have over the counter tags. Washinton is expensive for the hunting quality and Idaho still has a wolf problem. Idaho however has some hunts where the wolves don't live. Woming has the best deer populations of any state I have recently been in. With some great bucks! Oregon may have some OTC tags but I would have to look, I know that there best units are draw. If you want a great buck, try for a Non Resident General Season deer tag in Wyoming. I have seen several 160 plus Bucks in the area where I hunt elk south of Jackson Hole. Also see some 300 class bulls every year

Check into Idaho. There are some units where you can get tags over the counter. I know the wilderness area I want to hunt there is over the counter. I haven't looked for a while but I think non res tags are under $400.00.

I think the non-res deer tag is about 300.00 and covers bear, lion, and both species of deer..

I have an unfilled one for 2012, I'll sell it cheap! :lol:

Wyoming is sounding good and I have never been there.

When is the drawing process? Mule deer buck season starts when? I guess I'll just get on the website and look and see.

I'm mainly just looking for an area where I can get off the road and hike and hunt all day, even go deep enough in to justify a spike camp. I don't care to stay in any hotels/motels or in town or anything like that. Like to camp out in the woods for about 5 days or until I punch my tag.

Also depends on if you're looking for a true "trophy" class buck, or a decent buck. I settle for decent, though I've had a few opportunities that didn't quite work out - on really nice bucks here in Washington and in Wyoming as well. One caution on Wyoming - they require non-residents to use a guide when hunting in the official "Wilderness" areas.

You can hike and camp in them all you want, fish even, without a guide - but if you want to hunt - hire a Wyoming guide! :grin: Fortunately there is plenty of non-wilderness public land to hunt. Beautiful country, well worth the time. Bring a light fly rod or a spinning rod too, there is some excellent trout fishing in the fall.

I hunted CO a few years back. Getting a MD tag was not difficult.

JD338

A few Wyoming photos from trips in the past 12 years or so:
Wyobuck02.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Packing out a tall 3x3 on a DIY public land hunt. Grizzlies gave us pause for thought:
IMG_2274.jpg

WindRiver02.jpg

elk01.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

Wyoming has become a pretty special place for me. Good friends. Good hunting. Good country. Just plain good.

akhunter

I would be looking at the area south of Hoback Junction along the ridge line to Cokeville. North end is really/really steep and some wilderness, that you have to stay out of. The farther south is a little easier country, (remember this means easier mountains) and little if any wilderness. This is "high" elevation country with the base being around 7,000 and going up fast from there.

Back