New (to me) .356

I did take it out, and it shoots acceptably. I do need to shim the bases, however. That hasn't happened yet, though it is on my schedule for this coming week.

Looking forward to heading what it does Mike. Hope it shoots like your others.

LW. The 356 is an easy 200 yard cartridge. 220's around 2350-2400. It'll reach out real well.

Two hundred yards is readily doable with this rifle. I'm launching 250 grain Kodiaks at a muzzle velocity of ~2150 and 220 grain Speer Hot-Cors at ~2400. It delivers a pretty good smack on game.

Mike, how do the Kodiak's work? Are they bonded? Never used one or heard of a report on any.

The Kodiak is a bonded bullet, and it is a great bullet. Pity it isn't more readily available. Alaska Bullet Works appears to be a smallish concern, but they do turn out a great product. Everything I ever hit with one seemed to die pretty convincingly. They are a bit difficult for me to find here in BC anymore, however.

I am not even sure where to buy them in the states? Seems like they would be a good bullet or two for my 348?

Great looking rifle Mike must be hard buying multiple rifles same caliber & make ! It is a nice 1 for sure I am just getting nervous with everyone going with lever guns and me not owning 1 ! I am actually in an optik poor situation so I guess I need 2 mounts and 2 Optiks minimum! Congrats on the pick up !!

HOGWILD338-378":14dr3fjh said:
Great looking rifle Mike must be hard buying multiple rifles same caliber & make ! It is a nice 1 for sure I am just getting nervous with everyone going with lever guns and me not owning 1 ! I am actually in an optik poor situation so I guess I need 2 mounts and 2 Optiks minimum! Congrats on the pick up !!

It is a burden that I shall bear for many years to come, Terry. Alas and alack, I cannot resist purchasing duplicates when I find them at a good price.

pre6422hornet":iddw9c3g said:
Very Nice Dr. Mike! Winchester sure did put some nice dark wood on their levers. I really dig it.

Oh, yeah, they are handsome, and easy to carry afield. I appreciate the lively way the Big Bore dances to my shoulder when game hoves into view.

Back