New scope for the Nosler Professional

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
Hopefully the Nosler Professional in 280 AI will be under my Christmas tree this year. There is a small delay since I am having a second clip made and they have to have the rifle there to make the clip. Most of the tasks associated with purchasing an new rifle in a new caliber have been accomplished.

I have found a set of dies and have determined that I will shoot the 160 AB until the 168 LR AB arrives on the scene. I have Nosler brass on the way as well.

At first, I will use a VX 3L 3-10 on the rifle--borrowed off of a Browning .338 which I have not been able to get to shoot. After the first of the year, I will be looking for a new scope. I want or would like at least 14x at the top end. I should have about $1000 dollars, maybe a little more, to spend.

I have always been a Leupold fan. I have the VX III 4-14 in the LR model on my .257 little Roy as well as the VX 3 4-14 on my 300 WSM. I have been looking at the VX6 2-12.

I have thought about the Minox, but the only one that I have looked through had cross hairs so thick that it covered up a 2" dot at 100 yards--not sure if the experience was an anomaly.

I would love to stretch the legs on this rifle a bit and practice shooting out to maybe 600 yards and keep shots on game down to 500 yards

What scope should I place on the rifle?

The VX-6 is a sweet scope in my books :wink:. I have it on my 270win and it was love at first sight :mrgreen:
I would also take a look at the Leica they are right at the top of my list.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":fg4573im said:
The VX-6 is a sweet scope in my books :wink:. I have it on my 270win and it was love at first sight :mrgreen:
I would also take a look at the Leica they are right at the top of my list.

Blessings,
Dan

I'll second that. The Leica is first rate; it will allow your 280AI to really stretch the legs.

Nothing wrong with the VX-L either, and I have used 3.5-10x40 scopes for almost all of my hunting, that is for those rifles not having a 3-9x42, 4.5-14x40AO or 4-12x50. Actually I guess the 4-12x50 has been my main deer rifle scope but for elk and long range deer. I have always used either 4.5-14x40AO or 3.5-10x42. I have (4) Leupolds and just bought a 1.5-5x20 VX3. Leupolds are good scopes and have a super warranty.

I was just looking through a Meopta MeoPro 3-9x42 this morning and was very impressed. I'd love to compare it with its peers.

I imagine the Meostars are superb as well. I need to check them out and the Sightron SIII's.

CatskillCrawler":191yfntk said:
I was just looking through a Meopta MeoPro 3-9x42 this morning and was very impressed. I'd love to compare it with its peers.

I imagine the Meostars are superb as well. I need to check them out and the Sightron SIII's.

Meopta makes some excellent glass. I was actually weighing picking one up for a rifle that I don't have ... yet.

Congratulations on the M48 280 AI.
The VX-6 is an excellent scope. I have a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm with CDS dials on my 280 AI. I have shot out to 600 yds with it and it is dead on.

JD338

Two thoughts...

- After doing a class with night/dusk shoots, I'm a huge believer in having some form of illumination for dawn and dusk. With that in mind, I went with the VX-R on both of my Noslers and I've been very pleased with how they have performed.

That said, my default scope option these days is the Conquest. It's hands down the best glass for the money... There are lots of great options, some very close, but I find that I keep going back to the 3-9 conquest as my baseline.

My only gripe is that as I've gotten older, I like higher magnification less and less. I love the 2-7 and wish there was one in the conquest line. (If I could buy a Conquest in 2-7x with a #4 reticle, I'd be in gun nerd heaven.)

So in short, get a Conquest, you'll never regret it.

Nice rifle and scope. Need a range report.... I know it might take some time.

Check out the Kahles scopes, the KXi 3-10x50 4 d Dot is a killer scope with illuminated reticle and 1 mil holover points, each with a lit dot.

The Meoptas are amazing scopes too..
I have a few in on test...
Same glass on the Meopros as Meostars

They test right there with the top end Euro glass

My TGR 280AI will be running a Meostar 3-12x56 illuminated 4 dot this weekend hunting.
They nailed the illumination, reminds me of my S&B flashdot.

Kahles makes a very high quality, high end scope. I have the 3-9x42 TDS and a 3.5-10x50 and both are super optics ad extremely well made scopes.

I have three Kahles scopes; they are top glass, comparable to Swarovski and Zeiss, for sure.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Not sure what I will choose. I think that I am leaning toward the VX6. I may have to wait an extra two months to buy the Swarovski z5 4W 3.5-18 with the ballistic turret (my favorite scope) like I have on my STW. Just not sure that my wife will understand or tolerate my spending as she has for so many years.

runtohunt, all the scopes mentioned will do a excellent job. I do not think you could pick a bad one out of the bunch :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

runtohunt":3mqr0kgd said:
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Not sure what I will choose. I think that I am leaning toward the VX6. I may have to wait an extra two months to buy the Swarovski z5 4W 3.5-18 with the ballistic turret (my favorite scope) like I have on my STW. Just not sure that my wife will understand or tolerate my spending as she has for so many years.

That Swaro Z5 is the one I am gunning for in order to put on my 338 Win Mag. I figure if I start saving now, I might get it done before next Fall! :twisted:

SJB358":1pkroap2 said:
That Swaro Z5 is the one I am gunning for in order to put on my 338 Win Mag. I figure if I start saving now, I might get it done before next Fall! :twisted:

The prices on these appear pretty good right now, Scotty. They are an excellent scope.

DrMike":ffii3aa6 said:
SJB358":ffii3aa6 said:

The prices on these appear pretty good right now, Scotty. They are an excellent scope.

I think it is my best shot at an awesome scope that should pair up well with my 338. It is hard to get my hands on them locally. I wanted to actually see one of them to see if it'll fit my 338. Figure with a scope like that on the 338, I wouldn't reach for much else.

SJB358, I can attest to the quality of the Z5. It is hands down my favorite scope. The price tag is a little hard to swallow, but you certainly know where your money went. I had been looking at the Z5 after picking up the STW last January. I decided against it because of the price. Back in April there was a retired fellow with three custom rifles at the range. All three of his rifles had the Z5s with the ballistic turret. He allowed me to look through each of the scopes. I sat down with my Leupolds, all VX3's which I still like, and the Z5s. There was a world of difference. In my opinion, the $700 to $900 dollar difference was clearly evident.
If you can afford it, I think that you owe it to yourself at least once. And it would look really nice on the pre '64 .338! What a classy combo.

I am going to say something here because I think that even dedicated hunters can get through life without a really expensive scope. I am not knocking expensive scopes, I even have a couple myself that were bought back when I had more disposable income.

I personally, particularly as I get older and my eyes are not as sharp as they were even a few years ago, do not need a $2000 scope for most hunting needs in the field. They are a nice convenience but really are not a necessity for most of us. Now that my eyes are not as good in old age, I do not give these premium optics any favor over mid priced optics the I have on my other guns for practical purposes.

I can for hunting purposes, get along just as well with a Conquest, Older Kahles, Minox or even a VX-3 Leupold for most of my hunting and never know the difference between them and my Diavari Zeiss Victory scope while hunting in the field. I still am able to see the details that I need to see in order to hunt well. Now I do notice the difference in optics much more at the range than in the field hunting but in the field is where it counts, not at the range. Just a thought about "needing " $2000 optics and what is realy needed in the field for practical purposes.

Back